Important READ THIS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dollarbill

Head Chef
This was posted on the rmbbqa.com forum.

I want to share my new found knowledge on charcoal.

Backtrack a little....
Some of you know I got a 3 in brisket at Canon City last weekend. Approached Carol on it but she could not give me a definate answer on the reason for the 3. needless to say I was a little upset. Not Carols fault just frustrated at the 3. I could not figure it out.
Monday.... Denny (Over the Fence) came to my house toting a treager for me to borrow. Rain was pouring from the sky so we sat in the kitchen and talked about the brisket. I got him to try it. The look on his face was a look of terror. he told me it tasted like petroleum ( diesel to be exact) I could not figure it out. What had I done to do that. Well we tried the other meats also and they had the same taste. I did not taste it at the comp but Jen(my wife)did think the pork tasted a little funny. well got to thinking aboyt what I had changed,did different. Charcoal! I used the free bag of Comp Kingsford that some people got in Pueblo.

Back to Friday... I noticed when I lit it with my weed burner that it ignited very fast.did not think anything of it..wife and Bill Maes thought they smelled lighter fluid. I did not think anything of it. There were alot of fires going at that time.

So back to Monday. Denny and I figured it had to be the charcoal. it all added up. Smells on Friday,the fast light, hotter burn. There had to be something in the comp charcoal.

Tuesday... Called Kingsford up. Got a nice lady to talk to. I asked her about the charcoal. She gave me a sales pitch and then I asked her about the quick light and the hotter burn. She said that the ingredants are propriatary. I told her I did not want the recipe just the facts. Says 100% natural on the bag. ((also has-ORM-D on the side)-that is haz mat code)She says that refers to the hard wood used to make it. So I asked about the binder. Starch. what about the quick light.. PETROLEUM DISTALATES!!(ORM-D) much like the Match Light they have. She asked if I let the coal go to ash before putting meat on. I tried to explain the whole 12 hour cook and that new charcoal gets added to keep temps up. she gave me the "OH". I also explained about the ruined meat. Tried to explain that they are marketing this to BBQers and it is clearly not for BBQ but for Grilling.
She took my name and number and said someone would be in contact with me.

I know this is long but I do not want anyone else to go through what I have. I lost alot of time and money due to this. And will need more time to clean my smoker that still smells of petroleum. hope I can get it out. Please be carefull when using this product. Not for low and slow in my opinion! any questions feel free to contact me.

It just seems odd knowing the kind of people that were envolved in making this product would allow something like pertroleum based anything get into the comp k.

man sorry to hear that ... hope they throw you some sort of bone

Condolences. I use lump when a charcoal fire is appropriate. For big pits and long burn times at a cheap price Chef's Choice in the 40 lb bags is hard to beat. Sysco and Ben E. Keith both sell it down here for about 12 bucks a bag. Ozark Oak is the best for short cook times and small pits (R2D2's etc). Also Lazzari is good stuff of a similar genre as Chef's Choice. You can find Lazzari around here but its pricey. Might be cheap in your neck of the woods.

http://www.manta.com/coms2/dnbcompany_02mq34

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom