If You Could Only Buy One Commercial Rub ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

3 Olives

Senior Cook
What would you choose? I don't have a lot experience with commercial rubs and am curious. I do like Plowboys' Yardbird because it goes well on chicken, popcorn, baked potatoes, and fries.

I think Head Country All Purpose would be an excellent choice for this category. It was all I used for years and years. They carried it in some of the grocery stores for a short time but it has now reverted back to a mail order item I think. Now you can buy their sauce at Wally World. Very hard to beat as the base for a chicken glaze. Would not dare use it on anything else.

bigwheel

I like both the Plowboys Yardbird and Head Country mentioned above. Also really like Smokin' Guns Hot or Regular. All three mentioned are very versatile.

Trim Tabb's Pig Powder sounds pretty good. Up till now, I've been using different rubs but mainly SB's Hoochie Mama on pork. Just ordered some of the TT's Pig Powder at Vanns Spices. Will try it out and give a report down the road.

Smokey Lew said:
Trim Tabb's Pig Powder sounds pretty good. Up till now, I've been using different rubs but mainly SB's Hoochie Mama on pork. Just ordered some of the TT's Pig Powder at Vanns Spices. Will try it out and give a report down the road.

Saw a Pulled Pork Throwdown with Bobby and Lee Ann Whippen and she used Pig Powder on her winning butts. I'll follow Lee Ann anywhere, if she used dirt as a rub, I'd use dirt. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Pig Power is really very good.

I remember reading some posts that Plowboys' Yardbird went well on popcorn and thought it was a joke. It really does taste good on popcorn.

Captain Morgan said:
[quote="3 Olives":2qretrjb]I remember reading some posts that Plowboys' Yardbird went well on popcorn and thought it was a joke. It really does taste good on popcorn.

try it on monkey! outstanding![/quote:2qretrjb]
I'll pass, since monkey tastes like chicken but costs a lot more.

Massey Q said:
Any of you guys use Rendezvous Seasoning from CHARLIE VERGOS Rendezvous?

I have used it before. It is heavy on paprika. Also, I think it is important to know that the way Rendezvous does ribs, and the way they say to use the rub is more like a " put it on after it is done " kind of thing.

bigwheel said:
I think Head Country All Purpose would be an excellent choice for this category. It was all I used for years and years. They carried it in some of the grocery stores for a short time but it has now reverted back to a mail order item I think. Now you can buy their sauce at Wally World. Very hard to beat as the base for a chicken glaze. Would not dare use it on anything else.

bigwheel

TOAST! That is beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom