I'd rather have been cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unity

Executive Chef
The hideous chore is over and it was successful, but that doesn't mean I enjoyed it. :shock:

olddisposal.jpg

Taking this one out was necessitated by a broken driveshaft. It was in the house (built 1972) when we bought it, and we left it in when we did the kitchen remodel, so it was probably 34 yrs old. Noisy even before the shaft gave up.

newdisposal.jpg

This one went in easier than I feared, only a few small hassles. It has half-again as much hp as the old one, and you can barely hear it run. No leaks so far.
shocked011.gif

oldparts.jpg

Still life with old parts and tools.

--John 8)
(I'd almost rather be in a Japanese game show than take on a plumbing job. :shock: )

This kind of work always sounds easy on paper. Those rust-welded locknuts ruin the fun for me.

I bet you are glad it is over.

You still have time to cook a steak. :idea:

Looks like the " honey do's" have taken over the "honey I don't wanna's"
This always happens around hunting season :shock:

Hang in there John ;)

Unity said:
Puff said:
Looks like the " honey do's" have taken over the "honey I don't wanna's"
This always happens around hunting season :shock:

Hang in there John ;)
I bought the new one Wednesday and stalled until today. :(

--John 8)
At least you stalled bro' ;)

Take a look at the second picture. 5 different connections some with different parts that all do the same thing. Is this the best freaking design they could come up with?

brian j said:
good job. i hate plumbing. i had to redo a wax seal on a toilet and that simple job pushed my plumbing skills to their limit.

I know what you mean about wax seals....you don't line 'em up correct and you're f'd. Gotta clear it all out and re-do

Cliff H. said:
This kind of work always sounds easy on paper. Those rust-welded locknuts ruin the fun for me.
I bet you are glad it is over.

You still have time to cook a steak. :idea:
All plumbing post should be in the BR....
as for the locknuts....dremel....works everytime.....

Cliff is right. All plumbing posts should be in the Blue Room so you can really say what you think. I can't do any home repairs without injuring myself.

Griff

Well, I hate to be the one to point this out, but... both the old unit and the new one have Insinkerator's quick-lock mount. You didn't have to remove the part that's connected to the sink (unless it was damaged somehow), just turn the ring to disconnect the old disposal and put the new one right back onto the same flange. :|

Larry D. said:
Well, I hate to be the one to point this out, but... both the old unit and the new one have Insinkerator's quick-lock mount. You didn't have to remove the part that's connected to the sink (unless it was damaged somehow), just turn the ring to disconnect the old disposal and put the new one right back onto the same flange. :|
Yeah, I know, but I was replacing the sink flange, an almond-painted one with chipped paint. (No matter what process they use, who the heck thought it was a good idea to put paint on such a thing?! :roll: ) Now I've got a nice shiny polished-stainless one.

--John 8)
(Believe me, if I could have cut a corner, I would have. :LOL: )

Unity said:
Yeah, I know, but I was replacing the sink flange, an almond-painted one with chipped paint. (No matter what process they use, who the heck thought it was a good idea to put paint on such a thing?! :roll: ) Now I've got a nice shiny polished-stainless one.

--John 8)
(Believe me, if I could have cut a corner, I would have. :LOL: )

Oops... I didn't notice the paint. All the ones I've dealt with have had stainless flanges. I've got the same chore to look forward to... the disposal in our house (which we bought two years ago) is a low-end builder's model that doesn't have stainless grinding elements. From past experience I expect it to corrode before long, so I'm on the lookout for a good price on a better disposal. :|

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom