I need laptop advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diva Q

Executive Chef
Ok my current laptop keeps shutting off. Its an older Toshiba satellite notebook. To go and get it repaired would be just $200 for the inspection. (I have done everything the techs (various) have advised me to try) So i have decided enough is enough and I want a new laptop.

I need to be able to play my Diablo game (yes I know its old but I like it).

I want something that has at least 2gb (thats what Vlad tells me) and I don't want it to overheat.

I need advice. Please. Which models would you recommend or advise to keep away from. I would appreciate it.

I have no idea the difference between a commercial models and pavillion models- could you help explain it a bit please.

I have that fan already - sadly it does nothing for my puter- additionally I have also tried teh cookie sheet and even ice packs/ It stays hot and shuts off. Vlado has also cleaned it out. Sadly I really like this laptop.

Nick Prochilo said:
My wife and daughter have fans something like this to help keep their laptops cool.
http://www.nextag.com/Targus-Notebook-C ... 65A944CFE2

I'm using one of these units with my Dell and highly recommend it. Makes a big difference. Pick it up at WalMart for $20. My Dell stay cool no matter what I'm running on the puter.

Diva go duo core with lots of Ram, upgrade sound and video cards on most units and you will be happy.

Jim

Get another Toshiba.. that's what I have and they are good. the quad core processors are going to be in laptops later this summer and they will play that game like nothing....Toshiba!!!

I also have a Toshiba satellite notebook but I only use it when I go to teacher workshops. It is about five or six years old and it has been good. About two years ago it got real sluggish and couldn't figure out the problem so I used the restore disk and reinstalled my other software and it started running like new again. Each year IT people alway recommend a different laptop than the previous year so it is hard to know what is recommended this year.

The important part of cooling, is to keep the heatsinks clean. If you have pets...they cause a lot of problems with dander and hair/fur buildup. Give it a nice blast with compressed air, but not too much to overspin the fan. If you feel comfortable, remove the keyboard and go into all surfaces with a static free brush. Don't use a vacuum cleaner.

ok new laptiop is running fine played for hours last night no prob- however the key layout is annoying as hell. del key is in the top right hand side above the num pad, the internet key is right beside the alt key and the left shift button is tiny

also i can't say i am a big fan of vista it is causing mucho probs with my game

not sure if i am going to keep it

well i think it will for sure be going back now. Having had it for less than 24 hours the entire screen has white and black vertical lines. Can't get rid of them and also can't turn puter off to reboot in any form. Vlad is fiddling with it but I don't want to keep something that is having problems already.

Hmm think I may try a dell next. LOL If I had the money i would buy their wow laptop. Its cool. LOL

Diva can you order from the Dell refurb site ? If so you can find deals on there. I have purchased 3 from them and they all come with the new warranty. many of them are actually new. Some are mis orders others are from the salespeople trying to up their numbers. They talk to you about a machine, get you approved for the Dell credit, then when you tell them you want to think about it they ship it overnight. Once it leaves the factory...even if you dont open it..it has to go back on the shelf as a refurb. Also, just an opinion, the 17" screens make it very easy on the eyes but the weight of many of them wear out the hinges on the lids. If you dont travel much with it that won't matter. If you do the extra size and weight really do start to matter. But I do tend to travel more than most...so maybe thats just me. :D

P.S. Toshiba has had a few more issues in the last 3-4 years. Like alot of things they are either great or fail very quick. The Toshiba laptop I bought years and years ago is still running...slow but still running. The more people I run into lately the more problems I see. But...as a disclaimer...these people are like me, slinging a laptop into a backpack or rollerboard briefcase and going all over the place with them. Its not just the occasional trip.

Ty for the dell refurb advice. For me I rarely take it anywhere so weight is not an issue. Again last night we had more problems. I don't see the point of keeping it when in the first 48 hoirs we have had multiples of problems I think it is a lemon.

After spending a lot of last week setting up my b-i-l's new Dell Inspiron laptop, I wasn't too pleased with the touchpad's relative lack of response, and I am definitely not a fan of Vista home version. I'd look at XPS models and hope for one with XP Pro. We have 2 computers from Dell's outlet -- cflatt is on-target about that as a good source of savings. (Of course, as you add goodies, the price creeps up.)

--John

Back
Top Bottom