I got a mention for something other than BBQ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gary in VA said:
Greg...

work on pairing wine with BBQ... reds should pair better with the Q than whites..

At the AB comp in Danville I served a Chardonnay with the Lime pepper grilled salmon we did and it was a BIG hit.. just ask Bill.. one of the judges wrote down the wine we served em...

Pair it up right and it can compliment well.. if you don't .. you have ruined the taste of your food.

your tastes will progress from sweet whites, to dry whites, to light reds to heavy reds...

I love wine and experimenting with pairing wine with food... Beer is great and I wouldnt give up my beer for anything.. but wine is for the sophisticated palate...

Don't always think reds go with beef and whites with pork or fish. Sometimes you have to take into consideration any flavorings in the food. Sweet, salty, sour, acidic, etc...mixing a sweet food with a sweet wine can sometimes over sweet the palate and not bring through the acidic or salty flavors.

I am actually working on getting this guy from WLTV to do a podcast with me on wines and BBQ. It will be great when we can record it! :D

Congrats the extra exposure Greg. I like wine but it doesn't agree with me, gives me heartburn. Fortunately, no problem with beer or hard liquor. Oh yeah, the Cap'n rocks

I was never much of a drinker. Since I got pregnant I started craving wine, margaritas, and just about any other mixed drink. :shock: No, I have not had anything to drink but some red wine here and there (doctor said that a glass a day was healthy, healthier than a coke a day, too.).

So Greg,
With your new found fondness for wine, have you come up with an wine based injection for brisket yet?

When talking to a customer about a catering job , most people ask about alchoholic drinks.. I don't do it, for various reasons...

But, after I sign a catering job, I always hand the customer a leaflet that has some wine pairings for different foods... Have had a good response from this ...

Keep in mind these are "traditional" pairings.. I drink Shiraz and Zinfandel( not that pink stuff :shock: ) with anything, am not caught up in the traditional pairings

Wine Pairings for Barbecue

Starters (salads, cheeses, appetizers)
Sparkling Wine, Gerwurztraminer, Riesling, White Zinfandel, Pinot Grigio

Beef:
Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Shiraz, Zinfandel

Chicken:
Dry Rose, Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Merlot, Shiraz, Pinot Noir

Pork:
Dry Rose, Savignon Blanc, Merlot, Shiraz, Pinot Noir

Hamburgers:
Dry Rose, Zinfandel, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Savignon, Shiraz

Ribs:
Dry Rose, Shiraz, Pinot Noir, Zinfandel, Merlot

White fish or shellfish:
Sparkling wine, Dry Riesling, Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay

Salmon:
Dry Rose, Sparkling wine, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir

Serving Tips:
Use the same wine in recipes that you plan on serving with the course.

Count on “fiveâ€

Back
Top Bottom