How should I cook these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surfinsapo

Master Chef
My friend from Britain took me fishing and we loaded up on fish.. any good ideas to cook these? Whitings & pompanos...

Thanks,

SS

Fry the whiting and send me the pompano!!!

However, you can cook fish in others way besides frying, which is really really good by the way.

Try this

filet them like normal
coat them in a little of your favorite oil
mix up half and half italian bread crumbs and parmesian cheese in a bowl

coat the fist real good with it and spray a little squeeze butter on them

bake on a cookie sheet in the oven at 400 till done.

OR

use a pan that can go in an oven and sear the fish on one side
take the pan off the stove, flip the fish and top with tartar sauce and put in a 350 oven till the tartar sauce browns a little.

either way, send me the pompano!

ronbeaux50 said:
Fry the whiting and send me the pompano!!!

However, you can cook fish in others way besides frying, which is really really good by the way.

Try this

filet them like normal
coat them in a little of your favorite oil
mix up half and half italian bread crumbs and parmesian cheese in a bowl

coat the fist real good with it and spray a little squeeze butter on them

bake on a cookie sheet in the oven at 400 till done.

OR

use a pan that can go in an oven and sear the fish on one side
take the pan off the stove, flip the fish and top with tartar sauce and put in a 350 oven till the tartar sauce browns a little.

either way, send me the pompano!
thanks breaux!!.. I'll try both of those soon...
Merry Christmas!
icon_hopper.gif

SS

I'm not familiar with those species and there's nothing in the pic to give me a notion of scale. What would you estimate the weight of the fish in the bottom right? We deal with a whole different batch of fish up here. Actually, this time of year we don't fish because the water is in the solid state, but I am going to have a white Christmas.

bigwheel said:
Roll it in corn meal and fry it. Thats the only way to cook any kind of fish.

bigwheel

I couldn't agree with the Big Fella more!!! Corn meal is made for fish and nothing else should ever go on a piece of fried fish!!! Little salt and pepper too!!!

As another option, gut them, cover with water (no seasonings) and bring to a gentle boil for TWENTY minutes (no longer, bones will make broth bitter). Strain off broth, discard solids, and reduce broth till flavor increases nicely in strength. Then freeze for later use in sauces.
Just so happens I'm sauteing scallops tonight in butter and will deglaze the pan with fish stock and seasonings to make a pan sauce.

Just cut the heads & fins off the pompano, wash out the cavity good, brush lightly with mayo and grill. The skin on pomps is edible and tasty.
For pan sized pomp, clean the same way, dredge in flour, and fry in butter.

Whiting are good breaded & fried. If you scale them before you fillet, the skin adds extra flavor.

I'm going to fry some, blacken some, make ceviche.. The biggest one was about 3.5 lbs.. I got abot 10.0 lbs of filets... I;m going to grill some too....

Back
Top Bottom