How long should you age pecan wood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCook

Senior Cook
Merry Christmas everyone,

Got a question. My parents are about to cut down a pecan tree in their backyard. I've staked a claim to the wood and was wondering how long Im suppose to age it before I use it for smoking meat? Also, someone once told me green wood is better for smoking.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dont take pecan too long to get ready. Look for cracks on the ends of the logs and a hollow ring when you bang em together. If it feels heavy and makes a dull thud thats a sign it needs to go a while longer. You dont want no green wood for home smoking. Now have heard of certain commercial pits which is supposed to use green wood Oyler springs to mind for some reason..but dont have any personal experience in that area. Only fella I know who uses an Oyler uses dry wood. Seems like I heard Danny Gaulden say one time he used green wood on his Oyler. Have also heard of other brands with gas assist which uses green wood. Object is the gas lights the fire..then the gas goes out and the green wood is allowed to burn till it goes out cuz it green and dont burn too long..then the gas kicks back on and starts the cycle over again to maintain constant temps. That the way it was splained to me anyway. Maybe Southern Prides and Ole Hickorys work thataway too. Aint never been around em much.

bigwheel

Ahhhh shucks...thanks..blush blush. :oops: My Mama always say I was smarter than I looked or acted.

bigwheel

I would give it a year now that it's winter.. Summer about 7 months.. Bring me a truck bed full and I will pay you and take you fishing... Get down here now!!!! :LOL:

Thanks guys!

Sapo, I'll keep you in mind buddy, no charge. Parents live down in Houston, just gotta wait til they get around to cutting it down, hopefully sooner than later.

I have a couple of bushels already cut into big hockey pucks. I am hoping to see signs of seasoning by spring. I cut it in Oct.

Every time I go in the garage I pick up a couple and bang them together. Kind of like tuning guitar.

I like older wood myself. :shock: 3 years really mellows it out.

Big Wheel, we got some Pecan from your old buddy Redneck a few months back and it's got some age on it sitting in his pasture. It cooks real nice.

Well if it come from Redneck..person know it gonna be the best. The boy dont do nothing my half measures.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom