House Fires - PLEASE READ - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > Corporate Administration > General (Non-BBQ) Discussion
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-15-2006, 07:37 AM   #1
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Pigs On The Wing BBQ's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Akron New York
Posts: 6,922
House Fires - PLEASE READ

House Fires - PLEASE READ

Received from a friend who is in the property
insurance business. It is well worth reading. This isone of those e-mails
that if you didn't send it, rest
assured someone on your list will suffer for not
reading it. The original message was written by a lady whose brother and his
wife learned a hard lesson this past week.

Their house burned down.. ..nothing left but ashes.
They have good insurance so the house will ! be replaced and most of th
contents. That is the good news.

However, they were sick when they found out the cause of the fire. The
insurance investigator sifted through the ashes for several hours. He had
the cause of the fire traced to the master bathroom. He asked her
sister-in-law what she had plugged in the bathroom.

She listed the normal things....curling iron, blow
dryer. He kept saying to her, "No, this would be
something that would disintegrate at high
temperatures". Then her sister-in-law remembered she had a Glade Plug-In, in
the bathroom.



The investigator had one of those "Aha" moments. Hesaid that was the cause
of the fire. He said he has seen more house fires started with the plug-in
type room fresheners than anything else. He said the plastic they are made
from is THIN plastic. He also said that in every case there was nothing left
to
prove that it even existed.



When the investigator looked in the wall plug, the two prongs left from the
plug-in were still in there. Her sister-in-law had one of the plug-ins that
had a small night light built in it. She said she had noticed that the light
would dim and then finally go out. She would walk in to the bathroom a few
hours later, and the light would be back on again. The investiator said that
the unit was getting too hot, and would dim and go! out rather than just
blow the light bulb. Once it cooled down it would come back on.



That is a warning sign . The investigator said he personally wouldn't have
any type of plug in fragrance device anywhere in his house. He has seen too
many places that have been burned down due to them.
__________________

__________________
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that,
you've got it made. -Groucho Marx (1890-1977)
www.oinktoberfest.com
Team Gruber Mister BBQ
KCBS Citified Judge 8282
Tomorrow is just your future yesterday
Pigs On The Wing BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 07:50 AM   #2
BBQ Central Pro


 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Lindenhurst, NY
Posts: 994
Thanks for the heads up on that, Pig...
__________________

__________________
Aim for Sucess, not perfection
Good Country, This America
Bobberqer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 07:52 AM   #3
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Myrtle Beach
Posts: 14,162
Thanks Pigs.
__________________
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 07:57 AM   #4
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Bill The Grill Guy's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 5,449
Thanks for posting that Pigs. Just a side note. Most of the structure fires that we work are caused from candles. PLEASE use them with caution.
__________________
Bill The Grill Guy
www.billthegrillguy.com
"Life, it's what you do between meals."

http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/3674/platezi0.png
Bill The Grill Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:36 AM   #5
BBQ Centralite
 
Woodman's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Mentor, Oh
Posts: 4,457
We don't need one of those in the bathroom at my house!
__________________
"I was born to cook for people"
Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:43 AM   #6
Saint O'Que
 
Helen_Paradise's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill The Grill Guy
Thanks for posting that Pigs. Just a side note. Most of the structure fires that we work are caused from candles. PLEASE use them with caution.
I'll have to get pictures of what I did to my VCR...but I have a glass "dish" I burn my candles on. Yeah, I know it is NOT a safe place for it...but anyhoo. I do have it on top of the VCR. So, one day I was burning a small candle and it was almost out. Yeah, I know it was stupid...but I added the matches I had used to light the candle to the wax/wick mess. Well...had a 4 inch flame and was like wowed by it. Didn't think anything of it. Few days later I went to dust the area. Lifted the glass dish and the fire had gotten so hot it melted an indentation in the VCR. At first I didn't know how that happened. I thought the VCR sparked something from the inside...but then I remembered the flame. Never again [-X
__________________
30 Helens agree...to disagree.
Helen_Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:17 AM   #7
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Bruce B's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Utica, MI
Posts: 6,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill The Grill Guy
Thanks for posting that Pigs. Just a side note. Most of the structure fires that we work are caused from candles. PLEASE use them with caution.
Hopefully, one day, they'll run the hydro lines up the mountain to you folk, and you can quit burnin' candles, and use this new stuff they call lectricity.
__________________
Bruce
Treasurer, Great Lakes BBQAssociation
www.glbbqa.com
Rubbed, Smoked, and Sauced Competition BBQ Team-
22 1/2" WSM, 2 18 1/2" WSM's, 22 1/2" Weber Kettle
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:19 AM   #8
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Finney's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Savannah, GA and Somewhere near Lexington, NC
Posts: 8,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff E
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/glade.asp

We don't have any in our house, but I wouldn't rush to unplug them if we did.
Thanks Jeff.
__________________
Chris

"Of all the imaginary friends I've had, I don't think there was one that I didn't end up having to kill."

in seach of Umami
Finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 02:44 PM   #9
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Puff's Avatar


 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Warren, Mi.
Posts: 12,331
[quote=Bruce B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Bill The Grill Guy":3hnxiffk
Thanks for posting that Pigs. Just a side note. Most of the structure fires that we work are caused from candles. PLEASE use them with caution.
Hopefully, one day, they'll run the hydro lines up the mountain to you folk, and you can quit burnin' candles, and use this new stuff they call lectricity.[/quote:3hnxiffk] Well doggy, I reckin' yer right :lmao:
__________________
Pitboss/ Sous Chef/ Manager at Holiday Market Smokehouse
Royal Oak Mi.
Puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 03:01 PM   #10
BBQ Central Pro


 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 963
I like to use a candlewarmer. Walmart carries them for about $4. The bad thing is if you put a candle on one, it messes up the wick so you can never lite the candle again. The nice thing is a nicely scented candle on a warmer, keeps the room smelling nice and it lasts a lot longer than burning one!

Another thing I like to use is the Oust Fan. It comes on every 15 minutes and runs for 5 minutes. Oust is really good at freshening the air!
__________________

allie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.