Horseradish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toby Keil

Executive Chef
My wife and I were watching the Travel Channel last night and there was a show on called Food Across America or something similar to that and one of the topics was horseradish, it looked good. Well on Saturday we have company coming over and I’ll be grilling up a few Tri-Tips for dinner and we would like to serve some horsy sauce on the side. We typically make our own using fresh horseradish mixed with a little sour cream (we don’t like it too creamy) but it’s never quite hot enough. Any of you fine folks have a good recipe? Thanks in advance.

My way simple recipe is horseradish straight out of the jar, no saucy medium. I like Silver Spring. (Which is fortunate, because sometimes it's all you can find.)

--John
(They have a cream style, made with Wisconsin sweet cream, that they say is a favorite with roast beef.)
cream_style_horseradish.jpg

Do you mean fresh root you grind? Or fresh from the jar (as JB would say) Man. a friend grows the stuff and we grind it. That stuff will put a hab to shame! Damn, it's hot as hell. The stuff you get at the store is baby food. :roll:

What Pigs said.....fresh ground should lite you up. :shock:
If you need more punch, wrap your lips around a lit charcoal, no, no, no. Add cayenne for more pure heat. :D

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Do you mean fresh root you grind? Or fresh from the jar (as JB would say) Man. a friend grows the stuff and we grind it. That stuff will put a hab to shame! Damn, it's hot as hell. The stuff you get at the store is baby food. :roll:

Yes we like to use fresh root we get from Whole foods but it sounds like ours is wimpy compared to stuff you get.

Horseradish rocks on beef!!! There's a local one here that's great, but most store sell Double H or Tulkof and one I cannot recall offers an extra hot.

Get a root segment, clean it with a potato peeler, run it through a food processor (set on grate), put it in a wide mouth jar, and add enough distilled whte vinegar to cover. It'll knock your socks off and keep for weeks if refrigerated.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:

Its "Fresh out da Jar".... Boy,,, Down here Zaterans sels a horsy sauce. sometimes its hot as all hell sometimes not. I'm thinkin it has a shelf life as far as heat goes. I have bought other brands at stores claiming "Extra hot" but It aint that hot at all. I have tasted some from local restaurants thats CLEAR YOUR SINUS's out & make you eyes water. I noticed that its a food service brand thats kept in the cooler. after asking to see the container , it simply said pure horsy sauce :?: on the gallon container. I have noticed more & more stores now have horsy sauce in the fresh veggie cooler area by the cold jarred salid dressings.
I aint tried non yet cause a friend O mine gives me all I need from his restaurant

Larry Wolfe said:
Horseradish rocks on beef!!! There's a local one here that's great.

So what's the local one? I'm not all that far south of you... maybe somebody sells it here, too. :?:

007bond-jb said:
[quote="Pigs On The Wing BBQ":1u4xkelo]Do you mean fresh root you grind? Or fresh from the jar (as JB would say) Man. a friend grows the stuff and we grind it. That stuff will put a hab to shame! Damn, it's hot as hell. The stuff you get at the store is baby food. :roll:

Its "Fresh out da Jar".... Boy,,, Down here Zaterans sels a horsy sauce. sometimes its hot as all hell sometimes not. I'm thinkin it has a shelf life as far as heat goes. I have bought other brands at stores claiming "Extra hot" but It aint that hot at all. I have tasted some from local restaurants thats CLEAR YOUR SINUS's out & make you eyes water. I noticed that its a food service brand thats kept in the cooler. after asking to see the container , it simply said pure horsy sauce :?: on the gallon container. I have noticed more & more stores now have horsy sauce in the fresh veggie cooler area by the cold jarred salid dressings.
I aint tried non yet cause a friend O mine gives me all I need from his restaurant[/quote:1u4xkelo]

Wish I had a friend like yours JB. Going to try the vinegar method Griff suggested. Thanks all.

Toby if you have a restaurant that you frequent as a customer,
maybe they'd sell you a little bit of sauce or even some roots.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom