Homemade kraut

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puff1

Chef Extraordinaire
The local produce store had HUGE heads of cabbage.
The biggest I bought was 12 lbs. I compared the size to a regular head of lettuce in the pic. Picked up a food grade bucket shredded the cabbage, salted it, punched it down in the bucket, and weighted it down.
I couldn't find a plate the right size to fit the bucket perfectly so I used a little plastic wrap around the edges to keep the cabbage submerged.
Been fermenting for a week. 4 more weeks give or take and it should be done.

That takes me back... when I was a kid (back in the 50's) my grandpa made kraut every year in an old crock. I can still see him cutting the cabbage with a time-worn cutter (kind of like a two-bladed mezza luna), packing it into the crock, and carefully washing a rock to put on top of the plate to keep the cabbage submerged.

I can also remember when I tried the same thing using an old crock I found in an outbuilding at the old house my dad had bought. I didn't realize there was a pinhole leak in the bottom of the crock until several days later when I went to check on my kraut. The smell of rotted cabbage is like nothing else in the world. :(

Good one Rag :LOL:
Lawrence and Nick you bet. Make a nice x mas gift. ;)
Cap that was one of my main concerns( well my wife's main concern :roll: ). I'ts in the basement. I just went down there to take some of the liquid off and you can only smell it if stick your head close to the bucket.

Looking good...and another thing on my list. Keep us updated...but we don't need pics of you giving Larrys head a smell :shock:

Excellent Puff. Do keep us posted. I guess I'd better find some time today to post some pics of the brisket flats I'm brining into corned beef.

Captain Morgan said:
you stuck your head next to Larry's?
Kraut would prolly smell better. :shock:
Chris I used the recipe from the Kutas book. 3 Tb. salt per 5 lbs. shredded cabbage.
I'm going to try a bit in a week or so. I plan on keeping this going all winter if it works out. I'll just keep adding to it.
Here's a pretty cool link that shows the whole simple process. 8)

http://www.kitchengardeners.org/sauerkraut.html

Good job on the kraut. Bet its gonna be mighty tasty. Ever tried your hand at Kim Chee? Now I love that stuff like a hawg loves slop. Very similar to making kraut..just a few strategic changes in the ingredient list. Old Korean Vet pal tole me he ate a lot of it just so he could stand to be around the hookers. Apparently they ate a lot of it making them purty stinky to anybody elese who wasnt eating any. Guess it sorta like Eyetalians. They all smell like garlic so nobody notices.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Good job on the kraut. Bet its gonna be mighty tasty. Ever tried your hand at Kim Chee? Now I love that stuff like a hawg loves slop. Very similar to making kraut..just a few strategic changes in the ingredient list. Old Korean Vet pal tole me he ate a lot of it just so he could stand to be around the hookers. Apparently they ate a lot of it making them purty stinky to anybody elese who wasnt eating any. Guess it sorta like Eyetalians. They all smell like garlic so nobody notices.
bigwheel

As opossed to Texans, who smell like sheep!

Sheep? Now whut part of Texasville is you casting them kinda disturbing aspersions upon if I might axe? There is no sheeps allowed in God's Country. Texas folks smell like cows. Somebody get the rope.

bigwheel

Mine stopped giving up liquid a few days ago. I added a little salt water. Smells pretty darn good. Might give it a taste tomorrow.
Keep us posted how it's going with your batches Chris and Dave.

Sounds like its perking right along. Now don't listen to any Krauts who tell you to put Carroway seed in it. It must be them Buschbavarians of the species who does them evil deeds to perfectly good kraut. Continueth on the good work and kindly keeps us posted on the progess. Thanks.

bigwheel

I was going to put carroway seeds in the next batch. The book also said you could layer it with sliced carrots for extra flavor.

Hey Chris what's the report on your batch? What's it doing?
I'm 3 weeks in I believe it might be ready.

Back
Top Bottom