Hog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justaguy

Sous Chef
I have a friend who has his mind set on buying a whole hog, or possibly cow when he comes in for his annual visit. It's not for cooking just to split the price while he's in town and the halves home. I did a quick search and found local places where I can get hogs for about 1.20-1.80/lb hanging. Or 2.50/lb for a grass fed cow. From what I've read average hanging weight is about a 70% yield, does that sound right? Anyone got any input?

That's a low price on a hog, although it's difficult to compare price based on different parts of the country. One think you might want to consider is total out of pocket you want to spend to have all that food at your ready. A side of beef could weigh maybe 350-400 lbs where as a side of pork could be 75-150lbs, so the pork will be less than half of the beef. However, I believe a side of beef will aslo last maybe twice as long (meaning before getting freezer burn) in the freezer than a side of pork, so that something to think about to. Don't forget that you're looking at hanging weight, what do they charge to process it and dispose of the carcass? Also, if it were me, I'd ask that the beef be grain feed for the last 60 days. I think you can taste a big difference between grain fed and grass fed beef and in my opinion grain fed is better. Lastly, which one do you like to eat more often?

This is just one man's opinion. Really, either way you can't lose! You'll have a freezer full of meat! Happy desicion making.

I just checked my supplier's hanging hog price this week. For 150#er it was $1.97/lb. I think 70% yield from live is about right. Cooked weight yield from hanging is 30%. A much better deal is buying vac pac'd shoulders from Sam's Club at $1.10/lb. No waste, no butcher, no wrapping and buy just what you need. (case only which is 8 butts)

Back
Top Bottom