Hi Friends I'm Back

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tri Tip

Head Chef
Hi Friends, I’m Back.
I think it’s been about 8 months without a post. I didn’t think it could be done but I officially did it. Go ahead talk smack but I officially burned myself out on BBQ. I was cooking 7 nights a week. Catered on the weekends and competed on the weekends I wasn’t catering. Added to this a full time career and a family. I didn’t even have time to visit with you all, doing what I love most, cooking in the back yard, posting picts of my crappy food and talken trash. :LOL: My wife told me to slow down but I wouldn’t listen. Yep, I hit rock bottom I got totally burned out and took a long break. I know many could say how can you get burnt when it’s a passion that’s in your blood, but cooking this much became a job (literally with catering). For me I lost the passion for it and was totally burnt. The turning point was when my closest teammate left the team and said. “dude were dropping $800 to work, we've gotten plenty of calls we've proven to ourselves we can cook, I just want to go back to cooking for the friends and family on my little egg in the back yard”. I haven’t competed in 4 months and have only been cooking once a week. We’ll I’m out of sober living now and have decided BBQ sobriety isn’t for me. I’m not catering any longer but I’ll still be doing competitions and back to cooking several nights a week. Lesson learned, don’t over do it, cause even you greatest passion can become work. I don’t ever want to turn my hobby into a job again.

Some folks do it 35+ times a year and love it?.. But it is not for everyone... Welcome back!

Sent From My HTC Inspire

Welcome back Mike!!! I know a few couple of people who did the same thing you did. Some even made careers out of them and can't get out now.

Welcome back. I feel your pain on the getting burned out on bbq deal. It surely can happen. When I burned out I went several years where the smell of wood smoke would trigger my puke reflexes. Just now getting back to where I can stand it a little yet again. Best of fortunes to you.

Greg Rempe said:
Some folks do it 35+ times a year and love it?.. But it is not for everyone... Welcome back!

Sent From My HTC Inspire
Holy moley! Crazy people! Insane I'm sayin'! :shock:

Well warm receptions are always given to stray sheep who return to the fold. Think a feast would be in order as per the Prodigal Son scenario..which of course entails slaying the fatted calf..putting a robe around your nekked shoulders and a gold ring on your finger. Welcome back in other words. Now kindly excuse any possible redundancies on this deal:) Have noticed over the years old folks tend to repeat stuff all over yet again sometimes. Always enjoy your posts and keen wit. Now as far as them who cook often..it would be hard to top the Wade's. Last I checked they was cooking fifty times a year. Whew!! Now that takes dedication.

Too funny. When we bought our house the whole attic floor was lined with plywood and grow lamps. Hmmmm. Still don't know what that was for :weedman: but all the junction boxes sure came in handy when I added recessed lighting.

Back
Top Bottom