Hey WDRoller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, FINALLY, she's home! :( Congrats on your new baby!! Got pics yet? [-o<

What have I learned? Between this delivery and Larry's, I WILL NOT order a pit from someone I cannot pick it up from! And I hope to have one in the next year or 2. Bill??? :!:

My lips are sealed! But I'm glad you finally received your pit Dave! Enjoy it! You thought of any names for her yet? Finger out how to post pic's and we'll help you think of a name!! Congratulations or your new arrival and happy smoking!

Awww, come on!! Inquiring minds want to know!! :grin:
Bill??? (BTGG)

Jersey BBQ said:
I'm just crazy enough to be considering another PIT! Thinking about a custom Back Yard 24x40.... Gonna' call it The Black Pearl
Ooooohhhhh....I LIKE it ! ! !

Jersey BBQ said:
Glad to here that pit finally made it ! I can't imagine what the hold up could have been. My pit went from Houston to North Jersey... Then the next day it was brought down to me at the southern most county in Jersey. ALL This in less than one week. Actually it probably was about exactly one week. That's too bad the local terminal had it so long. Did it smell like smoke when you got it? Adrian had his shipped to NY and got his in about a week as well.... (where is Adrian anyway?)

I searched for a long time to try to find a way to get a real pit here in Jersey with the least time and cash output for shipping. Then I figured that in order to have a real pit I would be willing to wait for it to get here. If it took a month in transit so be it, but at the end of the day I would have a real one... You start pulling big briskets out of that pit the shipping issues you had will be nothing but a memory..

Can't wait to see pictures! Don't try to keep up with my bud Larry, he'll wear you out. He's a machine when it comes to firing up LuLu and making BBQ.

I'm just crazy enough to be considering another PIT! Thinking about a custom Back Yard 24x40.... Gonna' call it The Black Pearl.

Great idea about the 24" pipe, I really wish I had gotten it versus the 20". The extra 4" will make a tremendous difference!

Gator Pit said:
Congrats on getting the pit to its new home. Knowing Chris, he probably threatened to do a little Butt Kicking to the shipper up there. :grin: Since he whacked his thumb off, his patience is a little thin lately. In all seriousness, glad the Gator arrived and in safe condition. Now, get her fired up and call us if you have any questions. Ritch

Ritch, Dave "WDRoller" said it might be a while before he could get pic's posted. Did you guys happen to take any of his pit that you could share with us?

That's a great statement.......the pit is obviously worth any problems that the shipping company may present. Again, this company has at least proven to Gator Pits that they won't damage the product like some other carriers have.

I hear you about the cost of gas and lodging prices to and from Houston and I wouldn’t do it this time of year either.

Here’s where I stand:

Gator and Klose are at the top when it comes to pits, no question. But, they are expensive, especially when you get them customized the way you want.

I know of a recipient that had damage to his pit but didn’t notice it until after the delivery. He said he would have kept it anyway, had he noticed it, because the damage was relatively minor and it had already taken longer than was promised.

I lived in Orlando for 20 years and have family and friends there. Lang is just off the beaten path between here and there so I could stop by on the way down to pick it up. If there was a problem, I could pick it up on the way back to New York. I know that the Lang (84 Deluxe) is not a Gator or Klose but I think I can make it work for me with a few mods. There’s a Lang here on the island that I was able to look at up close and yeah, I’ve heard about a few issues with them also.

If I were to order today, Lang would be the way to go for me. If not this up coming summer, I will be coming home with an offset pit the next and preferably on 15â€

wdroller said:
Someone on Long Island mentioned he would not buy a Gator Pit because of possible delivery problems like Larry and I had. Too bad. I've just finished covering mine with peanut oil, fired it up and it's going through the seasoning process as I write this. Going over every square inch, inside and out, with a small roller and a 3" brush reveals a lot. It's like washing and waxing your new car for the first time--any imperfections, ill fitting panels, doors, trim, paint problems etc. that you missed in the showroom now loom large! I can't tell you how well built this pit is.

Mine did not come cheap and I'd much rather be inconvenienced for a couple of weeks than be unhappy for the life of the pit.

Well even considering the shipping problems, I'd buy another Gator and would recommend others to do the same. Yeah the shipping is a PITA, but once it leaves Houston, Gator doesn't have much to do with it other than calling and bitching the same as the customer. If someone is out there considering buying a good custom pit, consider the Gator. Just order with plenty of time. They make a good pit.

ScottyDaQ said:
I'd definitely rather buy a pit that was custom made out of pipe and plate, than one that's hacked out of a vessel that was meant for another purpose.
Why? It seems that the reverse flow that Lang incorporated into their "Tank" design works very well..

I dunno, I've heard of one guy that has a Lang and he's had to reinforce the springs, put in bearing buddies, and even after that, it's gone tits up on the road.

Just opinion, but something like that leaves an impression. It's kinda like Maverick...I'll never get another one, nor recommend them. Even though they work for some people, the questionable quality and service sways me.

ScottyDaQ said:
I dunno, I've heard of one guy that has a Lang and he's had to reinforce the springs, put in bearing buddies, and even after that, it's gone tits up on the road.

Just opinion, but something like that leaves an impression. It's kinda like Maverick...I'll never get another one, nor recommend them. Even though they work for some people, the questionable quality and service sways me.

I've heard about the bearing and axle issues and also the heat from the firebox causing issues with tires but I've also heard that it tracks very nice and that people have none of the aforementioned problems. I've also heard that it cooks very evenly.

How does that affect the pit performance though?

I'd definitely rather buy a pit that was custom made out of pipe and plate, than one that's hacked out of a vessel that was meant for another purpose.

ScottyDaQ said:

Boy Scotty you've come a long way. First you insult my wife and family. Then you threaten me twice and now your disrespecting my pit.

When I bought my Lang it was ordered and delivered, custom made, in less then two weeks. I added what I thought about 1000# in my own customizing.In the last two years I drove over 14,000 miles competing and catering. After my broken spindle, we weighed the pit loaded for a contest and it was almost double it's original weight so I guess that is Ben's fault. Don't let the truth get in the way of your story.

At the 2003 Jack Daniel's there were more Lang cookers then any other cookers including your pit, a WSM.

This time last year you were asking me how to cook a pork butt, now you are a authority on off set pits, boy Scotty you've come a long way.

Rich Decker

Well, I didn't mean to rekindle a feud here.....Sorry :eek: But I do thank everyone for their input. WD, I don't know if Lang does the 1/2" firebox but I'll check ~ Thanks :(

Rich Decker said:
ScottyDaQ said:

Boy Scotty you've come a long way. First you insult my wife and family. Then you threaten me twice and now your disrespecting my pit.

When I bought my Lang it was ordered and delivered, custom made, in less then two weeks. I added what I thought about 1000# in my own customizing.In the last two years I drove over 14,000 miles competing and catering. After my broken spindle, we weighed the pit loaded for a contest and it was almost double it's original weight so I guess that is Ben's fault. Don't let the truth get in the way of your story.

At the 2003 Jack Daniel's there were more Lang cookers then any other cookers including your pit, a WSM.

This time last year you were asking me how to cook a pork butt, now you are a authority on off set pits, boy Scotty you've come a long way.

Rich Decker

Everything is a personal attack with you... isn't it Rich? You haven't even answered my email on what this supposed insult was. This is off topic. Bring it over to a private discussion if you wish.

Back
Top Bottom