Here you go John 'Vermin'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was near heartbroken when my lovely wife sent my Lodge skillet through the dishwasher. Good thing she is good in bed. A good, well seasoned cast iron skillet certainly has its place in the kitchen. To repair my skillet I started with vegetable oil then lots of bacon. Which reminds me, I should do fry bread this week.

Seems I didn't listen to our good friend Rempe and now my cast iron grill grates are rusted. I wash't using them and stored them away in the garage when I pulled them out the other day they have a nice coating of rust. I'm guessing a fine wire brush, lard and a long slow fire on the Performer, any other thoughts or ideas?

That seems like a good way to start bbquzz. I put vegetable oil on a paper towel and rubbed it on my skillet when I was seasoning mine on the stove.

Now that it's seasoned, how do you maintain it?

Now this is how I was taught so it bound to be right..lol. If it new off the boat from China it has thick wax on it. They needs to be burned off in an outdoor type fire..or it will set off the smoke detctectors. After that wash it with soapy water and dry. Swab it down all over with peanut oil..stick it in the oven and let it cook about two hours at 250. Should be ready to rip when done. If the Little bride run it though the diswasher just start over at step two. When it gets really crudded up on the bottom it needs to go back in the out door fire. Everyday care is just wash with Dawn and dry..our family tradition is to dry them on the stove burner. Wipe down with a little cooking oil so to keep it nice for next time. Be careful. They diagnosed me as having too much iron one time. Surely couldnt be caused by eating out of iron pots and pans all these years huh?

Nick Prochilo said:
I'd wire brush them, wash on plain water then put them on the performer to dry, wipe them down with oil then on performer again.

dledmo said:
That seems like a good way to start bbquzz. I put vegetable oil on a paper towel and rubbed it on my skillet when I was seasoning mine on the stove.

Thanks guys as soon as it warms up and stops snowing I'll fire up the Performer and get them cleaned up. I have a 3/16" SS plate coming to try that Smashburger and I want to use the CI grates to support the new SS plate.

Thanks guys as soon as it warms up and stops snowing I'll fire up the Performer and get them cleaned up. I have a 3/16" SS plate coming to try that Smashburger and I want to use the CI grates to support the new SS plate.

I see some pictures in our future!

I have been seasoning and reseasoning My CI on the Weber too. I sometimes burn the seasoning off on my CI grates and all I do is wire brush them, hit them with some Pam spray and swap them over to the side I do my indirect cooking on and call it good.

The way my grandmother taught me to season cast iron is to JUST USE IT! Use it mostly for frying or grilling, but after many, many years of use, you can even cook tomato (read acidic) based sauces in the cast iron.
If it gets a little rust on it, gently clean the rust off the effected area and then fry something.

It's always worked for me, and if you ask anybody that cooks in Dutch Oven Cook-Offs, that's pretty much what you hear from them, too.

BOB

The way my grandmother taught me to season cast iron is to JUST USE IT! Use it mostly for frying or grilling, but after many, many years of use, you can even cook tomato (read acidic) based sauces in the cast iron.
If it gets a little rust on it, gently clean the rust off the effected area and then fry something.

It's always worked for me, and if you ask anybody that cooks in Dutch Oven Cook-Offs, that's pretty much what you hear from them, too.

BOB

And, allways, ALLWAYS, ALLWAYS! heat the pan BEFORE you add the oil. "Hot pan, cold oil---food won't stick"

BOB

And, allways, ALLWAYS, ALLWAYS! heat the pan BEFORE you add the oil. "Hot pan, cold oil---food won't stick"

BOB

Nice tip Bob, now if asked I can say I learned something today. I really didn't know that and think I have always just put the pan on and oil in and let it heat up. You can teach an old dog new tricks.

I learned that from TV, back when TV cooks were real cooks. Justin Wilson, etc. Not those that are on today that all have the nickname of "chef" whatever.

BOB

Is great advice on the hot pan hot oil thing. Learned about it on TV myself. Seems like it was Justeen who spoke of that but wouldnt bet on it. Some famous TV cook. Surely not the Frugal Prevert..gasp. Way over Emerils pay grade..lol. Who tole you Bob? Thanks.

Ok..that Justeen? I aint real confident on that one. He did not fry too much stuff in a skillet. I am conflicted between the galloping and preverted gourmet. Julia Chiles was not smart enough to think of it. She talked funny too. I will go into a trance later and try to figger out who gave out that good advice. Can you do the same? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom