Help! chicken and smoked sausage gumbo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
I've got a couple lbs of cooked chicken and another2-3 sliced
smoke sausage left over from a cater gig Friday. Thought I'd make
a simple and delicious gumbo for the poker boys tomorrow.

This is where you come in. This will be a big batch.

Captain Morgan said:
I've got a couple lbs of cooked chicken and another2-3 sliced
smoke sausage left over from a cater gig Friday. Thought I'd make
a simple and delicious gumbo for the poker boys tomorrow.

This is where you come in. This will be a big batch.

Here:
Code:
*  1 cup oil
    * 1 cup flour
    * 2 large onions, chopped
    * 2 bell peppers, chopped
    * 4 ribs celery, chopped
    * 4 - 6 cloves garlic, minced
    * 4 quarts chicken stock
    * 2 bay leaves
    * 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning, or to taste
    * 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
    * Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
    * 1 large chicken (young hen preferred), cut into pieces
    * 2 pounds andouille or smoked sausage, cut into 1/2" pieces
    * 1 bunch scallions (green onions), tops only, chopped
    * 2/3 cup fresh chopped parsley
    * Filé powder to taste 

Season the chicken with salt, pepper and Creole seasoning and brown quickly. Brown the sausage, pour off fat and reserve meats.

In a large, heavy pot, heat the oil and cook the flour in the oil over medium to high heat (depending on your roux-making skill), stirring constantly, until the roux reaches a dark reddish-brown color, almost the color of coffee or milk chocolate for a Cajun-style roux. If you want to save time, or prefer a more New Orleans-style roux, cook it to a medium, peanut-butter color, over lower heat if you're nervous about burning it.

Add the vegetables and stir quickly. This cooks the vegetables and also stops the roux from cooking further. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, for about 4 minutes.

Add the stock, seasonings, chicken and sausage. Bring to a boil, then cook for about one hour, skimming fat off the top as needed.

Add the chopped scallion tops and parsley, and heat for 5 minutes. Serve over rice in large shallow bowls. Accompany with a good beer and lots of hot, crispy French bread.

It doesn't have any.. some folks don't like it.. I eat it right off the bush.... Add some okra too Cap!!! :D

thanks Sap, I can handle that....I've been watching some of the
many videos posted here on gumbo.

I may not be using the right term in gumbo...I don't want any
rice served with this, either mixed in (is that jambalaya)
or on the side or top.

also, I was thinking some sort of tomato would add flavor...does
that make it not gumbo? Is there a recipe with tomato sauce in it,
or is there a reason that's not added in your recipe.

Captain Morgan said:
thanks Sap, I can handle that....I've been watching some of the
many videos posted here on gumbo.

I may not be using the right term in gumbo...I don't want any
rice served with this, either mixed in (is that jambalaya)
or on the side or top.

also, I was thinking some sort of tomato would add flavor...does
that make it not gumbo? Is there a recipe with tomato sauce in it,
or is there a reason that's not added in your recipe.

Jim I missed it didn't have tomato either.........I put tomato in mine too.

I think gumbo can be made however you like with whatever you like. But here is a definition of it anyways..

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&defl ... n&ct=title

The key to a good gumbo in my opinion is the roux, make that right and you can add whatever you want. Mix 1 cup of oil and 1 cup of flour, over med low heat start cooking, stirring constantly, DON'T STOP. This will take 30-45 minutes to do right. It should have a nutty aroma and look like peanut butter.

here's more info

Another division in types of gumbo is between Creole and Cajun styles. Creole gumbos generally use a lighter (but still medium-brown) roux and may include tomatoes, while Cajun gumbos are made with a darker roux and never contain tomatoes.

A Dark Roux used in a Cajun gumbo and sometimes in a Creole gumbo is cooked until extremely dark. Butter will burn if used to make this type of roux, so lard or oil are the fats of choice. If the roux is to be used with okra, a lighter color may be desired, as the flavor of a dark roux is quite overpowering. Most Creole gumbos do not use as dark a roux as the Cajuns, but a medium reddish-brown type roux; the word roux comes from the french word "rouge", meaning "red." The "holy trinity" of onion, celery, and bell pepper will often be cooked in the hot roux itself before the stock is added.

Captain Morgan said:
here's more info

Another division in types of gumbo is between Creole and Cajun styles. Creole gumbos generally use a lighter (but still medium-brown) roux and may include tomatoes, while Cajun gumbos are made with a darker roux and never contain tomatoes.

A Dark Roux used in a Cajun gumbo and sometimes in a Creole gumbo is cooked until extremely dark. Butter will burn if used to make this type of roux, so lard or oil are the fats of choice. If the roux is to be used with okra, a lighter color may be desired, as the flavor of a dark roux is quite overpowering. Most Creole gumbos do not use as dark a roux as the Cajuns, but a medium reddish-brown type roux; the word roux comes from the french word "rouge", meaning "red." The "holy trinity" of onion, celery, and bell pepper will often be cooked in the hot roux itself before the stock is added.

Great info Jim!!!

Jim,

Most jambalaya's I've made and/or eaten have had tomato in them and they do not start out with a roux. You are right though, that creole jambalaya does not contain tomato and is a "brown" jamba, while cajun jamba has tomato and is a "red" jamba, however, I think the tomato thing is a regional issue down in LA or just personal preference.

Now gumbo's that I've had, always start with a roux and most do not contain tomato, but that wouldn't stop me from adding a can of chopped tomatoes if I wanted them in there. I don't like okra so I don't add it, if that doesn't fit the def. of gumbo too frickin' bad.

Some advice, I cooked my roux for one hour on my last batch and probably should have stopped at 45 minutes, depending how dark you want to get it, didn't taste bad, just was a little on the dark side.

As far as contents though, you're right, jambalaya and gumbo very often have the same contents; trinity, chicken, sausage, shrimp...etc.

Larry Wolfe said:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&defl ... n&ct=title[/url]

The key to a good gumbo in my opinion is the roux, make that right and you can add whatever you want. Mix 1 cup of oil and 1 cup of flour, over med low heat start cooking, stirring constantly, DON'T STOP. This will take 30-45 minutes to do right. It should have a nutty aroma and look like peanut butter.[/quote:2wnzkm61]

Larry, post your recipe for Gods sake!

Nick Prochilo said:

The key to a good gumbo in my opinion is the roux, make that right and you can add whatever you want. Mix 1 cup of oil and 1 cup of flour, over med low heat start cooking, stirring constantly, DON'T STOP. This will take 30-45 minutes to do right. It should have a nutty aroma and look like peanut butter.[/quote:1v8ztrvl]

Larry, post your recipe for Gods sake![/quote:1v8ztrvl]

Nick I don't have one really. I do the roux and add tomatoes, onion, celery, bell pepper, chicken stock and go from there. I do usually prefer shrimp though, the rest of the meat is optional for me.

I did use a bag roux one time that was not too bad for a quick gumbo. I think the name of it was Louisiana Brand Gumbo Mix. Pretty good for a short cut, but it doesn't have the body that a homemade roux has..... Do a google for a recipe. Look at 10 of the recipes and piece the gumbo together with the ingredients you want.

Larry Wolfe said:

The key to a good gumbo in my opinion is the roux, make that right and you can add whatever you want. Mix 1 cup of oil and 1 cup of flour, over med low heat start cooking, stirring constantly, DON'T STOP. This will take 30-45 minutes to do right. It should have a nutty aroma and look like peanut butter.[/quote:1t6c95a6]

Larry, post your recipe for Gods sake![/quote:1t6c95a6]

Nick I don't have one really. I do the roux and add tomatoes, onion, celery, bell pepper, chicken stock and go from there. I do usually prefer shrimp though, the rest of the meat is optional for me.

I did use a bag roux one time that was not too bad for a quick gumbo. I think the name of it was Louisiana Brand Gumbo Mix. Pretty good for a short cut, but it doesn't have the body that a homemade roux has..... Do a google for a recipe. Look at 10 of the recipes and piece the gumbo together with the ingredients you want.[/quote:1t6c95a6]

Thanks!

More info... Jambalaya is like dirty rice in consitansy & gumbo is allways served over rice like a cajun stew, gumbo gravy can also be thin or thick. also add file to the served gumbo, Dont put it in the pot. Reason is if reheated it makes the gumbo stringy.
If you don't serve it over rice it aint gumbo it SOUP... BOY!

gumbo

JB is right. If you don't serve gumbo over rice it is soup or stew, not gumbo. Traditionally, gumbo will not contain file' and okra, it's something just not done by gumbo purists, although I've eaten that way before. You either have file' gumbo (Like the Hank Williams song) or okra gumbo. I always use a dark roux because it adds more flavor. I like to also add a can of mild Rotel tomatos for the tomato flavor and a little heat. If you do this, you may want to back off on the other peppers in the recipe. Good Luck

I forgot to mention the difference between gumbo and jambalaya. Like previously mentioned, gumbo is a cajun stew over rice. Jambalaya is more like red rice, but with more stuff, trilogy, but dry. I rarely include tomatos in Jambalaya, because it is more of a Cajun dish than a Creole dish. I don't really understand this because most, or all Cajuns had small gardens with tomatos, so I would have thought that tomato would have gone in every cajun dish, however this is not the case.
I 'll cook a jambalaya or gumbo at Smoke on the Beach this Spring, depending on the weather.

Back
Top Bottom