Hacking A New WSM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ

Master Chef
Yesterday morning George sells a WSM to a customer and the guy wants a temp gauge installed, so Wittdog and I bore a 1/2 inch hole in the lid and install the gauge. It felt kind of funny hacking a hole in the lid of a spanking brand new WSM that was fresh right out of the box! :LOL:

Captain Morgan said:
scares the hell out of me, although I wish I had one installed.

Got 2 temp guages ready to install in my 2 WMS got em from Lowes for 20.00 each 3 inch diameter they were half price , while I was gathering some hickory chunck bas , Niki found and put the guages in my cart!! What I find I have in my wife , she is looking around for folding tables and chairs now!!!!!

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Yea, but that renders the top vent inoperable. What then? Make a plug from foil? :roll: Rip a hole in the lid. Bunch of big chickens! :LOL: :LOL:

Went to the Weber Bullet area and they give instructions on how to mount a guage using a drill and the best place to put it , those 3 holes on top are ment to be open for a reason , and plan on leaving them that way. Heck they eve tell ya what kind of bit to use so you dont damage the cooker, ya cant beat that . I even saw a thing on putting side tables on em for petes sake , makes sense for putting those temp probes on dont it??

I hav one in 2 of the 3 I own. I use the third for chicken mostly and that doesn't require quite as accurate temprature control. Just make it hot and get to cookin. Anyway I mounted mine about 2.5 inches from the bottom of the lid.

A good sharp bit turning at a slow speed will not damage the powdercoat finish. Running the drill slow lets you make sure the bit cuts through and doesn't burn through or you could dammage the finish and the bit.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom