Guru install question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finney

Master Chef
Savannah, GA and Somewhere near Lexington, NC
Cruising said:
Well I received the GURU today. Great guys and service.

Quick question(s)...

1. They sent 2 eyelet deals. Can I put both probes through one or should I install both? Any reason one way or the other?

2. Also - I put the mount on one vent - and I assume I tape over the 2 open holes of that vent. Seemed pretty straight forward - just wanted to make sure I was doing this right.

3. When using this - do I need to wrap everything in plastic in case of rain? (I got the 6 foot extension).

Will try it out to see how it handles the temp with just coals tonight and do a real cook with my beef ribs tomorrow.

1. Both cable can go through one eyelet. Start with one and if you want add the other later. Or put it in another grill.

2. Yep.

3. Yep. Supposed to handle the weather, but you don't want to find out otherwise.

4. (ok, you didn't have a 4) Close your top vent to where it is between 1/2 & 1/3 open. That will help the Guru control the temp much easier.

Cruising said:
Well I received the GURU today. Great guys and service.

Quick question(s)...

1. They sent 2 eyelet deals. Can I put both probes through one or should I install both? Any reason one way or the other?

2. Also - I put the mount on one vent - and I assume I tape over the 2 open holes of that vent. Seemed pretty straight forward - just wanted to make sure I was doing this right.

3. When using this - do I need to wrap everything in plastic in case of rain? (I got the 6 foot extension).

Will try it out to see how it handles the temp with just coals tonight and do a real cook with my beef ribs tomorrow.

Greg is an expert on installing the Guru Eyelets. He's made it known, if anyone who needs assistance to call him day or night. He'll tell you how to do it!

Cruising,

I don't have a guru but I have two eyelets. Getting back to the eyelet question. I installed 1 eyelet on each side of the door in the top bolt hole of the strap. That way I can place a table on either side of the WSM to place my digital thermometers on to monitor temps.

Did you calabrate the Guru probes before you started? They may be off and it might have been under temp until the point you saw the temp change. Unless it get way out of range, don't sweat it. It's BBQ, it ain't 'baking'. A few degrees isn't going to matter that much. 8-[

I have a question...I don't own a guru, but I've always wondered how you guys put up with the fact that it doesn't seem to be that accurate. I have yet to hear anybody say their guru is right on with their Nu-Temp or Maverick or whatever. Some are off quite a bit.

I would think that for $200+ it shoulda/woulda/coulda been a little more accurate OR do you overlook it just for the sleep? OR am I wrong or just misunderstand how it works?

I still haven't heard anything that would convince me to rush out and spend over $200 on something that the WSM does well by itself.

It's definately a learning process to find the right combination with your pit. How air tight vs leaking your pit is. The owner manual is good for figuring out how to turn it on and off, and not much else. Even as late as last Christmas it was hard to get good info on using it, but now as more people have them and are telling what they know, it makes it easier. I got mine mostly for higher heat cooks. And to be able to cook while I'm at work, but I have found I am rarely organized enough to do that. And now that school is out, there's always a passel of young kids around the pond behind the place here and I don't feel comfortable having a hot cooker out there unattended during the day.

Keep the duct pointed down. It will keep ashes and grease from falling in the duct and clogging it up. As for peoples therms not reading the same as the guru. I found both my Maverick, Nu Temp and Guru therms off a little bit. Some could be up some could be down. If I was cooking an expensive piece of meat like a prime rib, I set my therm for 10* lower than I want my finish temp. When the alarm goes off I check with my Thermopen instant read therm which is extremley accurate. All of my other thems are just guides.

Can you just pick up these eyelet things at the hardware store or are they a special make by the Guru Co.? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom