Gumbo Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Master Chef
It's 27º outside, got the whole house to myself, the beer's cold, so I figured I'd make some gumbo...from scratch (more or less).

Started out by making my own chicken stock, added a whole chicken along with 4 thighs to the pot with some onions, carrots, celery, Essence, thyme, oregano and basil and simmered it for 1 1/2 hours.

Then I removed the chicken from the pot and took the meat off the bones and returned the bones to the pot and simmered them for another 1 1/2 hours.

Then I browned off 1 lb of andouille sausage and 1 lb of polish kielbasa.

Then I started my roux, with 2 cups of oil and 2 cups of all purpose flour.

The following pictures are the roux at 15 minutes, 30, 45 and 1 hour.

At 1 hour I added the vegetables and stirred for about 5-10 minutes. It's a dark roux.

Then I added the stock and the seasonings.

And that's where I'm at right now, letting it simmer on the stove to thicken up a bit. More pics at dinner time.

Oops...Damn BOY...almost forgot to add the chicken back in there.

Last but not least.......dinner!

Now that looks like some killer Gumbo Bruce... The roux is fantastic.. I bet your house smells good today!!! Great Job!!!
Clapping%20Hands.gif

Great job Bruce. I am sitting here waiting on my Sloppy Joe. You a real fortunant and industrious fella.

bigwheel

Bruce, my hats off to you!!! Super job, especially on the roux..............THAT is what makes a good gumbo!!!

Larry Wolfe said:
Bruce, my hats off to you!!! Super job, especially on the roux..............THAT is what makes a good gumbo!!!

They sell hats that big? :shock: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Thanks Larry!

Ya done real good Bruce. It looks yummy, Add french bread on the side & Its a 10+

When I hear someones making gumbo I think of a watery, spicy chicken soup. Most don't know what a GOOD roux is. You nailed it...especially the darkness. And that's what makes a gumbo. Beautiful.

Looks real good Bruce. Question for you fellers. Do you add any seasoning to the Roux when your cooking it?

Bill The Grill Guy said:
Looks real good Bruce. Question for you fellers. Do you add any seasoning to the Roux when your cooking it?

NO! Just oil and flower. The seasoning for a good gumbo comes in layers one step at a time. At least at my house it does.

Bill The Grill Guy said:

My roux is so hot that any seasonings would burn badly. When the trinity goes in (celery, pepper and onion) it cools the finished roux. Seasonings go in with the broth. Hold basil and thyme till 15 minutes before cook completion......if cooked too long those two will become bitter.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom