Gumbo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
Seasoned some thighs with FinneyRub #2. Grilled some Habanero sausages along side some onions and peppers and ended up with a gumbo Justin Wilson would've been proud of............

Finney said:
Unity said:
Oh, man, I gotta get me down to Louisiana. That looks really good, Larry. :D

--John 8)
Just go to Larry's house. :roll: He's a lot closer. ;)
I thought about that, and I do know where Bealeton is (less than 50 miles), but I figured he wouldn't really like to see a bunch of gumbo-hungry people lined up at his door. :P

--John 8)
(Dang that looked good -- Larry might be smart to scale back some on the pictures. ;) )

Larry, that reaaalllllly looks good. Showed the wife and it was making her hungry.

bigwheel said:
Looks good. Tell us about the roux?

bigwheel

Roux was 1/2 cup of oil and flour, cooked until it had the color of peanut butter. Took about 45 minutes to get right.

Captain Morgan said:
my roux's always suck. I've never used oil before, only butter.
Was it just plain old vegetable oil?

Yes, just reg store brand oil. The trick is to let it cook very slow and constantly stir. I can always tell when it's done by the nutty aroma.

Well apparently my roux making skills is not quite up to snuff and have about reached the conclusion I aint using the right kinda oil. I get a bunch of conflicting repoats from the resident cajuns around here as to the best type of oil to use. Some claim oleo margarine is best (tried that and it made it awful greasy tasting)..others say lard..which I went to the trouble to buy some but aint got around to using it yet. Tried olive oyl once and that made it taste real funny. Finally broke down and bought a jar of store bought roux which come highly recommended which claims to use cottonseed oil which I aint got around to trying yet either. Whut be your preference on the oil ration? Thanks.

bigwheel

My roux always sucks...seems to have a burned taste to it as I try to get that "peanut butter" color...

Back
Top Bottom