Gumbo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Uncle Al said:
Woodman said:
Buy this:

http://www.savoiesfoods.com/products_roux.html

I bought a case. You cannot make it better at home. Woody

I agree with Woodroux, that stuff is the best. After trying many times to make a dark roux and always thinking it tasted burnt, I got his stuff and never looked back.

Al
Does it work in a microwave? :LOL: Roux is just like barbecue, it takes time and pratice.

Larry, you asked what to fix for us when we get together for the game. THAT looks like a winner. HINT, HINT.

Bill The Grill Guy said:
Larry, you asked what to fix for us when we get together for the game. THAT looks like a winner. HINT, HINT.

We'll see, I hope we're still on the game. I'll make something good for us though.

Woodman said:
Buy this:

Speak for yourself Woodchuck!

A good roux is like good BBQ, it's done when it's done. You rush it and you'll taste the consequences. You should make roux for a gumbo in a cast iron skillet (or equivalent weight wise) and heat it on low to med-low heat and constantly stir. It should take no less than 30 minutes. When it finally gets to a peanut butter color, you're done.

Why would you buy roux out of a bag? That would make Justin Wilson roll over in his grave! :thumbsdown

Thats the one I got which was highly recommended by a real cajun. He say you got to be a cajun granny to make it yourself..otherwise buy the Sovie's. Now I got a story to tell about a restaurant down here which in my humble opinoyawn makes the best Gumbo of any place in town..and they dont even use a roux. The base is tomater sauce and a brand of File Gumbo made by Farmer's Brothers coffee company. Now I know File Gumbo is supposed to be ground sassafrass leaves and this stuff definitely got some of that stuff in there..but it has some other stuff too including tea and guar gum. Wonder whuts up with that?

bigwheel

Uncle Al said:
Woodman said:
Buy this:

I agree with Woodroux, that stuff is the best. After trying many times to make a dark roux and always thinking it tasted burnt, I got his stuff and never looked back.

Al

bigwheel said:
Thats the one I got which was highly recommended by a real cajun. He say you got to be a cajun granny to make it yourself..otherwise buy the Sovie's

Either he's full of Cajun shit or he's smoking good Cajun crack. I can't imagine a Cajun recommending buying something out of a bag.

First off Larry, it's in a jar. Second off, I have made my own roux MANY times and you are full of shit if you think you can taste the difference between flour and oil cooked in your pan, and flour and oil cooked in a GIANT pan in the Savoie kitchen. ;) Now some things, like salsa, or BBQ are better, but as far as I'm concerned, making your own roux is a HUGE waste of time that could be better spent smoking the duck breasts for the gumbo!

Well that just the way the Cajun splained it..Savoie be the only way to go. Fact I had to send a fella all the way over to Lewisville, TX to find the stuff at a cajun speciality shopppe. When he brought it back he had took a ball point pen and added a one to the price tag and say I owe him 13.50 instead of the 3.50 which it really cost. I just started handing him money till he tell me the joke. Them cajuns got a funny sense of humor huh?

bigwheel

Woodman said:
First off Larry, it's in a jar. Second off, I have made my own roux MANY times and you are full of shit if you think you can taste the difference between flour and oil cooked in your pan, and flour and oil cooked in a GIANT pan in the Savoie kitchen. ;) Now some things, like salsa, or BBQ are better, but as far as I'm concerned, making your own roux is a HUGE waste of time that could be better spent smoking the duck breasts for the gumbo!

Woodman said:
I'll say it again. The gumbo woody made at oinktoberfest was out of this world! The smoked duck brought it all together. Fantastic chow, Sorry woody I didn't wash the cool porcelain bowl out when it was gone. I did manage to throw the plastic spoon away though. :LOL:

Woodman said:
You cannot make it better at home. Woody

Woodman said:
First off Larryyou are full of shit if you think you can taste the difference between flour and oil cooked in your pan, and flour and oil cooked in a GIANT pan in the Savoie kitchen.

Dave do you always contradict yourself??

You're the one that said it couldn't be made better at home. I never said GIANT pan, I said a heavy pan to retain the low heat as to not over heat and burn the roux. Obviously you've had this problem before or you wouldn't have to buy your roux in a jar. [smilie=a_happyme.gif]

P.S., do you prefer the gravy that comes in a jar or the envelope packet? [smilie=a_makeitstop.gif]

Larry Wolfe said:
Woodman said:
You cannot make it better at home. Woody

Woodman said:
First off Larryyou are full of shit if you think you can taste the difference between flour and oil cooked in your pan, and flour and oil cooked in a GIANT pan in the Savoie kitchen.

Dave do you always contradict yourself??

You're the one that said it couldn't be made better at home. I never said GIANT pan, I said a heavy pan to retain the low heat as to not over heat and burn the roux. Obviously you've had this problem before or you wouldn't have to buy your roux in a jar. [smilie=a_happyme.gif]

P.S., do you prefer the gravy that comes in a jar or the envelope packet? [smilie=a_makeitstop.gif]

The gravy in the jar is much btter than the envelope! :roll:

I think of the jarred roux as an ingredient not unlike ketchup, salt, etc. Sure it's great to be able to say that you made the roux from scratch but the stuff in the jar is a hell of a lot more convenient. Way back when, cooks had to mill their own flour before making roux...stuff in the bag sure is easier. !!!!

Kind of like having to make your own ketchup every time you want a burger.

Al

Uncle Al said:
I think of the jarred roux as an ingredient not unlike ketchup, salt, etc. Sure it's great to be able to say that you made the roux from scratch but the stuff in the jar is a hell of a lot more convenient. Way back when, cooks had to mill their own flour before making roux...stuff in the bag sure is easier. !!!!

Kind of like having to make your own ketchup every time you want a burger.

Al

I'm sure it's easier, I'm not arguing that............ Dave is the one that said you couldn't make it better at home.

IMHO, the roux is what makes the Gumbo. I wouldn't have the satisfaction personally of just pouring something out of a jar into my gumbo. To each their own.

OK. How is it better made at home? I agree, you should try it once or twice to get the experience, but unless it is bringing something else to the party.......forget about making roux!

Woodman said:
OK. How is it better made at home? I agree, you should try it once or twice to get the experience, but unless it is bringing something else to the party.......forget about making roux!

I NEVER SAID IT WAS BETTER!!! I simply said "making the roux is what makes the gumbo". Meaning it's the time, thought, practice, heart of taking the time to make a good properly made roux yourself versus just using a store bought product. So yeah I think it does bring something to the party!

Store bought cookie dough tastes good, but would you call them "homemade" cookies? Store bought pizza dough is good, but not like you mixed it and hand tossed it yourself. Get my point now?

I'm not trying to argue about this, just saying I get more personally out of taking the additional time and practice doing certain things, the hard way. Not that making a roux is hard....... If you like what you're using for your roux, fine. That's all that matters.

Roux Schmoux(pronounced schmoo)

I just eat the gumbo that comes in a can...I think Campbell's or Progresso makes it. [smilie=a_goodjob.gif]

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
[quote="Uncle Bubba":3u8jiute]Roux Schmoux(pronounced schmoo)

I just eat the gumbo that comes in a can...I think Campbell's or Progresso makes it. [smilie=a_goodjob.gif]
I also heard you like sausage in the can also! :LOL: :damnfunny[/quote:3u8jiute]

Only on Tuesdays. ;)

Back
Top Bottom