Griff's Yukon fishing trip (6-19-08 to 7-1-08)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Griff

Master Chef
This is the fourteenth year my wife and I have done a road trip from Anchorage to Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada. It's a long one day drive or an easy two day drive. The outfitter in Whitehorse has cabins on 7 or 8 different lakes. Each lake has one cabin on it. You get dropped off by float plane and picked up one week later. So your party gets a lake in the north woods to yourself for a week. The cabin has a wood stove, a three burner propane hot plate, a propane refer with a small freezer that makes ice for cocktails, and a gasser on the porch. Oh yeah, there's a dock with boats, motors, and gas. Here's some pics from this year's trip. These lakes are so clean that all our drinking water comes from straight from the lake. When you're fishing, you can scoop a cup of drinking water right out of the lake, if you're out of Canadian beer.

Loadin up the plane on the dock on the Yukon river in Whitehorse.

Our lake, Ken Lake, from the air as seen flying in. It's 80 air miles north of Whitehorse.

Here's what our cabin looked like.

Notice the nails pointy end out to keep the bears from breaking in. They like to pull the walls apart at the corners or bottom.

Griff at the helm. As you can see, trolling for lake trout is a tough job.

Mrs. G landing a small laker.

This trout is soon to be dinner. At these lakes, you don't keep a fish until right before dinner time.

Mrs. G working on dinner.

A different fish about to become dinner. We had fried lake trout, fresh out of the lake, three nights.

Same fish.

Finally, a food pic -- fried lake trout. The beer is Yukon Gold, brewed in Whitehorse. It's hard to read the words across the top of the can, but it says "beer worth feeezing for".

Some more fish pics.

A view of about a tenth of the lake from a hill behind the cabin.

You know when the nearest person is 80 miles away, you can make all the noise you want -- doing what ever you want. That might explain the smiles.

I'm speechless Griff! INCREDIBLE pictures! Looks like you and the Mrs. had a great time, the last picture explains it all!!!!

BTW when are you going to shoot a bear and try some WRB on it??? I need to put that on my label, 'Good on monkey and bear'! Cappy tried it on monkey...................

Sucks to be you huh? :roll:

These kinds of vacations are the toughest because you'd like to be able to live every day like this. Great pics and looks like a great time.

That would be a once in a lifetime trip for me.

I am most impressed with Mrs. G's knife handling skills.

That is a good woman right there. ;)

Hey Griff, great pix to be sure.

It looks like the Pine Beetles have made it up there also :(

Any Walleyes in those waters? ;)

Fantastic .... living large.
Drinking from the lake :shock: ...where do the fish poop, somewhere else? :LOL: :LOL:
Great looking fish !!!

DATsBBQ said:
It looks like the Pine Beetles have made it up there also :(

Any Walleyes in those waters? ;)

Although there is some bark beetle kill in Alaska and the Yukon, those trees in the pics were the result of a lightening strike wild fire 5 or 6 years ago. There are no walleyes this far north. Other fish in the lake are northern pike, arctic grayling, whitefish (several species), and burbot.

Unity said:
Nice fish -- thanks for sharing. How deep were you trolling? Ken Lake looks like a good one.

--John
(Just wait 'til the bears get claw hammers.)

John, spring was late this year all across Alaska and the Yukon, so the lakers were only 30' deep. We had two days when Dian and I combined for over 50 lakers in a day -- had to tie on new leaders every day because the fish were beating up the tackle. As for claw hammers, they already have adequate claws.

Griff said:
We had two days when Dian and I combined for over 50 lakers in a day -- had to tie on new leaders every day because the fish were beating up the tackle.
Wow. :shock: That's a huge number, and those are some good-sized lakers, too.

--John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom