Great Valentine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbquzz

Master Chef
The California members of the Forum don't know how good they have it. My Valentine gave me a box of
California Meyer Lemons shipped in FedEx to make Lemon Drops, expensive lemons, but well worth it.
I am a lucky dog :D

Attachments

• Lemon Drops.jpg
    Lemon Drops.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 259
bbquzz said:
The California members of the Forum don't know how good they have it. My Valentine gave me a box of
California Meyer Lemons shipped in FedEx to make Lemon Drops, expensive lemons, but well worth it.

Dude not only do I work for FedEx but I have a lemmon tree in the back yard with hundreds of lemmons. Where do I send em?

P.S. if you like Lemmon Drops try a Michelada, Its pretty popular down here especially on a hot day.

http://www.chow.com/recipes/10662

Tri Tip said:
bbquzz said:

Dude not only do I work for FedEx but I have a lemmon tree in the back yard with hundreds of lemmons. Where do I send em?P.S. if you like Lemmon Drops try a Michelada, Its pretty popular down here especially on a hot day.

http://www.chow.com/recipes/10662

I'll PM you my address!

Helen_Paradise said:
Limoncello!!!

Any special recipe Helen? I Googled and the first one up seemed pretty easy, lemon peel, vodka in a mason jar for 5 days +/- add equal parts simple syrup after the fermenting, pour over ice .... and hammer it! I would appreciate your thoughts on how best to use these wonderful lemons, I do not want to waste a drop.

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tp ... 7090032804

I followed the recipe pretty close (I used more lemons) to the original poster of the thread. Since the 190 proof Everclear is banned in CA, I had to ship myself 2 bottles. Then I found out that the Shoppette at the air force base sold 190, so got someone to buy me a few bottles.

1L Everclear
10-16 lemons - debatable
2.5 pounds sugar
6 cups water

I bought 16 Sunkist lemons. Got out my veggie peeler, peeled a strip, then took a sharp paring knife and took off the pith like a fillet. Took me a few hours, but I was pretty careful not to get any pith. Just the zest. Well worth it. I think zesting them makes a mess when you want to strain later. Mix the peels and Everclear in a glass jar. I put wax paper on the mouth and then closed shut. I let my first batch sit for about 2 weeks, I'd shake it every other day. The peels turn almost white and potato chip like - then I know it's done. I measured the sugar by weight, dissolved it in the water over low heat (let it cool completely), then added the Everclear mixture to the pot. Poured into bottles I had purchased and let that sit for a couple weeks. Put in freezer overnight and should pour like a syrup into a glass.

I bought 2 cases of bottles from http://www.sunburstbottle.com/ 375mL screw cap tops bottles. Then gave some out as presents. Also, I bought some bottles for vanilla extract I had made.

My next round I didn't use Sunkist lemons and it just wasn't the same. Did not have that bright yellow color. I made a lime one too. Took too much time and effort for me, so probably won't make that again.

Helen_Paradise said:
http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8100031414/m/7090032804

I followed the recipe pretty close (I used more lemons) to the original poster of the thread. Since the 190 proof Everclear is banned in CA, I had to ship myself 2 bottles. Then I found out that the Shoppette at the air force base sold 190, so got someone to buy me a few bottles.

1L Everclear
10-16 lemons - debatable
2.5 pounds sugar
6 cups water

I bought 16 Sunkist lemons. Got out my veggie peeler, peeled a strip, then took a sharp paring knife and took off the pith like a fillet. Took me a few hours, but I was pretty careful not to get any pith. Just the zest. Well worth it. I think zesting them makes a mess when you want to strain later. Mix the peels and Everclear in a glass jar. I put wax paper on the mouth and then closed shut. I let my first batch sit for about 2 weeks, I'd shake it every other day. The peels turn almost white and potato chip like - then I know it's done. I measured the sugar by weight, dissolved it in the water over low heat (let it cool completely), then added the Everclear mixture to the pot. Poured into bottles I had purchased and let that sit for a couple weeks. Put in freezer overnight and should pour like a syrup into a glass.

I bought 2 cases of bottles from http://www.sunburstbottle.com/ 375mL screw cap tops bottles. Then gave some out as presents. Also, I bought some bottles for vanilla extract I had made.

My next round I didn't use Sunkist lemons and it just wasn't the same. Did not have that bright yellow color. I made a lime one too. Took too much time and effort for me, so probably won't make that again.

Thanks Helen. I can now remember looking into Limoncello when I saw it on a TV show and the Everclear was a stumbling block, but now that you have suggested it I'll make it a mission and report back. When you talk about the Sunkist lemons, are they just regular lemons Sunkist brand or are they special Sunkist? Thanks again.

bbquzz said:
Thanks Helen. I can now remember looking into Limoncello when I saw it on a TV show and the Everclear was a stumbling block, but now that you have suggested it I'll make it a mission and report back. When you talk about the Sunkist lemons, are they just regular lemons Sunkist brand or are they special Sunkist? Thanks again.

I guess regular Sunkist brand. My mutant tree in the yard just doesn't have a great peel/color. I have no clue if it's right or wrong, my opinion is to find a nice peel with that good yellow color. That second batch I made came from a lighter color peel and it was also smooth.

Where are my lemon experts and opinion people?

Thanks Helen. It seems like there are several other SoCal folks on the Forum who I hope will have some input. I really liked Tri Tip's offer to Fed Ex some Meyer Lemons off the tree in his backyard ... If he is serious I'll give him my Fed Ex account number. I'll report back when I start drinking. All this talk has got me thirsty so in the mean time I think I'll make a lemon drop :D

Back
Top Bottom