Got the goods BKnox ....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
D.Harris said:
I always pull with 2 forks or chop my butts with a big cleaver. Have always heard that if you slice a butt the meat will be dry, any truth?
Mine is allways so tender it falls apart when the bark is worried. & so I don't know BH

SS,

I would cook a pork butt. I get mine at Sam's.

I would use the Chipotle bbq on it. A nice steak with the cracked pepper rub is another favorite. IF you buy the butt, as stated earlier, make sure it is bone in. I think it makes a difference n the final product.

As far as dry I always let the butt rest for 15 minutes or longer so the liquid redistributes.

bknox said:
SS,

I would cook a pork butt. I get mine at Sam's.

I would use the Chipotle bbq on it. A nice steak with the cracked pepper rub is another favorite. IF you buy the butt, as stated earlier, make sure it is bone in. I think it makes a difference n the final product.

As far as dry I always let the butt rest for 15 minutes or longer so the liquid redistributes.
Ok B.. that box it comes in is cool man... Like a easter basket in august...LoL... Thanks again.. :D

Even comes with a towel to clean your hands off... I could smell the package before I opend the mail box too... I can't wait to try it out!!! :D

I just noticed you want to make pickles. I am not at my home office but downtown on someone elses computer , but when I get back I have an easy recipe for sweet pickles. I also have at least one pickling cookbook worth having. I will make a note to post it.

Do you have a pressure cooker? Not always necessary but handy for canning pickles.

It's not a pressure cooker, but I have canned with it before... I made pickled peppers and pickled okra...

SS,

Here is the pickle recipe. Sorry I took so long but I had a thick week.

Sweet Pickles - slices

4 -5 pounds pickle cucumber
3 quarts water
1/2 cup kosher or pickling salt
7 cups cider vinegar
5 1/2 cups sugar
3 teaspoons mustard seed - yellow or brown
2 teaspoons celery seed
15 black pepercorns
6 or so pint jars and lids

Clean the cucumber and cut into slices as thick as you like your pickle slices. Some people discard the ends but I like them. Place the slices in a large crock or ceramic bowl.

In a pan on the stove heat the water until wartm and disolve the salt in it. When disolved pour over cucumber slices and palce a plate on top of them to wieght them down. Let them sit for about 4 hours.

Rince the cucmber thoroughly and allow to sit in cold water for about an hour.

While they are soaking take the vinegar, sugar, and the spices and heat it all up in a large pot (you will be adding all the cucumber to it soit needs to be pretty big.). Stir until the sugar is dissolved and continue to heat until boiling. Add the cucumber and continue cooking for another couple minutes and remove from heat.

Laddle the pickles into jars, I use pint jars or whatever I have that the canning lids fit on. Leave about 1/4 inch of air at the top. Laddle in any extra juice to cover the pickles. Wipe the top of jar and put on the lid. Heat finished jars in boiling water for about a half hour and remove, make sure the lids are tight and allow to cool and seal.

Crack open a nice pilsner and bask in the glory of your pickles. These are typically the pickles I use on my pulled pork sandwich unless my daughter gets into them and eats them. Either way they are pretty good.

Enjoy!

bknox said:
SS,

Here is the pickle recipe. Sorry I took so long but I had a thick week.

Sweet Pickles - slices

4 -5 pounds pickle cucumber
3 quarts water
1/2 cup kosher or pickling salt
7 cups cider vinegar
5 1/2 cups sugar
3 teaspoons mustard seed - yellow or brown
2 teaspoons celery seed
15 black pepercorns
6 or so pint jars and lids

Clean the cucumber and cut into slices as thick as you like your pickle slices. Some people discard the ends but I like them. Place the slices in a large crock or ceramic bowl.

In a pan on the stove heat the water until wartm and disolve the salt in it. When disolved pour over cucumber slices and palce a plate on top of them to wieght them down. Let them sit for about 4 hours.

Rince the cucmber thoroughly and allow to sit in cold water for about an hour.

While they are soaking take the vinegar, sugar, and the spices and heat it all up in a large pot (you will be adding all the cucumber to it soit needs to be pretty big.). Stir until the sugar is dissolved and continue to heat until boiling. Add the cucumber and continue cooking for another couple minutes and remove from heat.

Laddle the pickles into jars, I use pint jars or whatever I have that the canning lids fit on. Leave about 1/4 inch of air at the top. Laddle in any extra juice to cover the pickles. Wipe the top of jar and put on the lid. Heat finished jars in boiling water for about a half hour and remove, make sure the lids are tight and allow to cool and seal.

Crack open a nice pilsner and bask in the glory of your pickles. These are typically the pickles I use on my pulled pork sandwich unless my daughter gets into them and eats them. Either way they are pretty good.

Enjoy!
Wow, Thanks Bryan.. I might make a pickle video soon.. :shock:

If you have all the stuff out it is not hard to do and you will have pickles for some tim. I want to make a sweet and spicy pickle when my habs are ripe.

I wonder if I used the spices from a vinegar based BBQ sauce if I could make a pulled pickle? We will see :D

bknox said:
If you have all the stuff out it is not hard to do and you will have pickles for some tim. I want to make a sweet and spicy pickle when my habs are ripe.

I wonder if I used the spices from a vinegar based BBQ sauce if I could make a pulled pickle? We will see :D
Ha Ha Ha.. Good idea!! :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom