Got my engine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rag1

Executive Chef
Went to another auction this morning, looking for a hit and miss engine. Didn't have anything for me.
Swung over to tractor/farm engine show and found a 1 1/2 hp Hercules engine in good mechanical shape and with all original parts and paint (whats left of it). The seller was pushing me not to clean it up by painting or replacing oilers with brass units.....that thing about antique stuff.
Screw that, it gets torn down and gussyed up over the winter.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

3.jpg

Next, I need to rig it to BBQ somehow.

Congrats on the acquisition.

Strangely enough I've been on the road this weekend gettin' the kid off to college and saw a guy with 3 - yes 3 of them on a trailer headin' north. Each one was a different size. Don't even have a clue what HP they were but they went from relatively small to huge by my way of thinkin'. Didn't even know 'bout them 'til recently and now I've seen 3 of 'em. :roll:

Ok I don't know what that is, what it does, but hey you seem really happy about it so congratulations!!!!!!

They started making these engines in the late 1800's. The last were made in the 1930's. Whats out there is all that's left. Guys find them half buried in barnyards, behind out buildings sitting in the weather for 30 years and more. They are a rusted chunk, and still get them running again after scrounging parts and machining what they can't find.
I have a lucky find in that it has all the original parts and has been well kept.
You have to hear one run to appreciate it. The fly-ball governor allows it to fire when the speed drops too low, and coasts with the help of the fly wheels (not firing...missing) till it slows again. If under load it can fire each cycle.
As for size, I saw one this weekend that 18 foot flywheels and a piston the size of a trash can. It was being assembled. Can't wait to hear that baby fire.

Rag said:
They started making these engines in the late 1800's. The last were made in the 1930's. Whats out there is all that's left. Guys find them half buried in barnyards, behind out buildings sitting in the weather for 30 years and more. They are a rusted chunk, and still get them running again after scrounging parts and machining what they can't find.
I have a lucky find in that it has all the original parts and has been well kept.
You have to hear one run to appreciate it. The fly-ball governor allows it to fire when the speed drops too low, and coasts with the help of the fly wheels (not firing...missing) till it slows again. If under load it can fire each cycle.
As for size, I saw one this weekend that 18 foot flywheels and a piston the size of a trash can. It was being assembled. Can't wait to hear that baby fire.
So basically your plan is just to sit around and her this thing fire...Hell just feed Bubba some spicy sausage and a few beers..and he'll fire on and off all day...

Now you are getting close to the secret. Sit around the engine, drink beer and try to keep up with the firing. The perfect afternoon.

Cool fine . Them was before my time, find a forum for em to help get her runnin

Back
Top Bottom