Gonna Christen LuLu Tomorrow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
I went to three different stores to find meat to fill LuLu up and let me tell you, the meat departments SUCK. I went to BJ's to get butts and brisket, they didn't have any butts out and only had 2.5-3lb brisket flats. I ask the meat guy and he goes and gets some butts for me, life is getting a little better, but they didn't have any briskets worth getting. Then I went to Costco, no briskets. So I go to Giant and they had flats that were cut in half (why???) on the shelf and by now I'm fed up, but I ring the buzzer and the meat guy comes out and I ask if he has any briskets. He says, someone just came and bought almost all of them but he'd check. He came out with one overly trimmed 6lb flat, so I took it. I bought a pound of fat back to slice up and put on top of it to keep it moist. I also bought 2 - 3lb chuck roasts to throw on LuLu. So here's the deal, I'm gonna start the butts (16lbs) first in the morning, but they're for the game Sunday so I won't be in a hurry for them. Then I'll put the chuck roasts and briskets on around 11am for dinner tomorrow night. I'll shred the chuck as you would a chuck roll and slice the flat. Everything will be rubbed with Wolfe Rub and cooked with oak wood.

BTW, I hooked the log lighter up on LuLu and now I have a new toy!!! Wow does that flame shoot out! I'll have plenty of pic's tomorrow, I bought a new camera to replace my smashed one!

How 'bout a preview with that new camera you bought for Lisa??! :grin:

Okay, I was up at 4am to get LuLu fired up. The 2 butts totalling 16lbs went on at 5:30am. It's 6am now and she's holding steady at 272* and the meats at 42*. I will try to keep a log of this inagural cook. The brisket and chuck will go on later. I'll post some pic's in a bit.

Okay it's 6:30 now the meat is at 65* and LuLu's chugging along at 249*. Here are a couple of pic's from when I put the meat on earlier.

Nick Prochilo said:
Hey Larry, is that the log lighter under the grate? Neat looking stuff!

Yeah Nick that's the log lighter. I had it on for about 3 minutes and my logs were rolling! That was all it took! Really glad I got it.

LuLu is running very smooth...............Pit's at 248* and the meat is at 119*. I've added two logs since putting the meat on. Pic's will be coming soon!

corndog said:
Hey Larry, thanks alot for all the info. I know alot of us are living vicariously (sp) through you. Me, I am stuck at work today w/ the Air Force Reserves....great job, but I would love to have my WSM downstairs w/ a flat on it for lunch.....

Kevin, I'll be putting a flat on for you later!! :razz:

Larry: Just a suggestion, When you have to order a replacement rack for your fire box (and you will) ask them to make it with 1/2 inch steel bar stock instead of the expanded metal. It will last longer. That burner looks to put out some serious BTU's. Have fun, I'm back to Oinktoberfest in a hour. :grin:

Things are coming along way better than I thought!! Meats at 141* and pits at 223*. I just added another log. Here's a couple more pic's.

Hey Larry,

I,m a retired airline guy, where is the closest airport? :eek:
I'm comin for dinner. :idea:
I even good with an axe to help ya split them logs :D

Cheers

Who needs an airport??

6.gif

Steve McMurtry said:
Hey Larry,

I,m a retired airline guy, where is the closest airport? :eek:
I'm comin for dinner. :idea:
I even good with an axe to help ya split them logs :D

Cheers

Wish I would've known that last night!!! :eek:

Hey Larry,

What is the space between the bottom shelf and top shelf and how much vertical space on the top shelf? If you get a chance to measure it sometime today. Everything looks great so far.

Bruce B said:
Hey Larry,

What is the space between the bottom shelf and top shelf and how much vertical space on the top shelf? If you get a chance to measure it sometime today. Everything looks great so far.

Bruce, it's about exactly as big as an 8lb butt!! lol They just barely fit underneath the top shelf. I'll measure for you later after I pop my first cold one!

Thanks Larry, it looked kind of tight there. Have to fire up the WSM for the pork loin bacon cook today. Talk to you later.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom