Goat Roast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

3 Olives

Senior Cook
I've had goat before and loved it. It's now available in a lot of ethnic stores here. I'd like to give it a shot. I'm figuring it's either grilling or stewing. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

bbq goat was Saddam Hussein's favorite meal.

They also have it on the menu at the local Mexican joint, but
I've ever had the guts to order it.

Google " smoked cabrito"--cabrito is the Spanish (and apparently Portuguese) word for young goat. I remember having it when I was a kid down in McAllen, TX. Tastes like chicken :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Captain Morgan said:
bbq goat was Saddam Hussein's favorite meal.

They also have it on the menu at the local Mexican joint, but
I've ever had the guts to order it.
If the other food is good - the goat will be good. Give it a try.

I have cooked up goat. But, I can only find it cut up in stew like chunks at the Italian Market in Philly. I wish I could find 'cuts'. Seeing how skinny they are, I can see why cuts aren't common.
However, goat is very tasty. It tastes just like goat. :D

I eat goat as much as I can. Jamaicans put it into a curry. I usually have it with the gelatinous Oxtail as well. Very very nice stuff. Goat is much like lamb, I find, but it has a flavour of butter, or nuts, to it. I'd take it slow. Even better, I'd ask the butcher how they usually do it.

Stewing would be more typical, but I'd say you could grill it, then shove it into a stew. Get more flavour out of it that way, if you sear the thing, then do a slow render on it in the stew.

The official goat cooker up in Wilbarger County quarter it up and throw it in a big cauldron of boiling water along with the juice off a gallon can of Jalapenos. After it tendered up then he would smoke it for a while on the pit. Or..you can smoke it up for a while on the front end then wrap it with butter onyawns beer etc. and let it chuckle away till it gets edible.

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom