Generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rag1

Executive Chef
I'm considering picking up a Honda EU2000i generator. I have a price from an outfit in NJ for $879.00. Is that a good price or can I do better?

Get the 3000i. Don't mess around with the smaller one. You'll never wish you had the bigger one...unlike, well...nevermind :shock:

Wow, going from the 2000i to the 3000i you get half again as much power output -- for which you triple the unit weight and triple the fuel requirement. :shock:

--John
(Yeah, it's bigger, but ... )

The Honda outdoor power equipment line is very very good, But just like with any gas engine, TREAT THE FUEL with Sta-Bil, The carb will be trash after about 6 months without it.

Yamaha also makes a very good unit, Its priced less than the Honda line.

I got 2 gensets an old Generac 6.5kw & a new Generac 22.5kw. Never had any trouble, change the oil & replace the treated fuel yearly.

Good points guys.......I don't want my wife waking me up too often in the RV to refuel the generator or her grumbling about the weight slinging it in and out of the truck.
The low noise of the Honda is a big seller to me.

The Honda EU series are very quiet...important at comps. Rag, figure what you are going to be plugging in besides lights, coffee pot, fans, etc. you will end up wanting more. Most power supplies at comps are 25 amps.

Ohms law:
amps x volts = watts.... watts divided by volts = amps

example:
25 amps x 110 volts = 2750 watts
25 amps x 115 volts = 2875 watts
25 amps x 120 volts = 3000 watts

To start a electric motor (drill, skill saw ect) multiply the amps or watts
times 3, The genset needs to be rated for that much surge power.

Yall payin attention?

220/230 volt AC units have a lable that has the compressor runing amps & LRA (Lock Rotor Amps) this is the surge amps needed to start the compressor.
Also listed if the condenser fan running amps & its LRA,
example: compressor RA 20.1 @220V LRA 60.3 @ 220V

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
I thought it was: E = I * R or Volts = Amps * Resistance. One volt of electrical potential equals one amp of current times one ohm of resistance.

That is another of Ohms formulas Not used for AC current in genset applications.
Resistance comes into play on circuit boards, speakers & amplifiers

Now resistance of a long extention cord will effect final avalible watts.
Example A 25 foot 20 gauge copper wire will handle a 20 amp load,
But at 100 feet the resistance of the wire drops the amp capacity to about 17.5 amps...

007bond-jb said:
[quote="Pigs On The Wing BBQ":pnmggxez]I thought it was: E = I * R or Volts = Amps * Resistance. One volt of electrical potential equals one amp of current times one ohm of resistance.

That is another of Ohms formulas Not used for AC current in genset applications.
Resistance comes into play on circuit boards, speakers & amplifiers

Now resistance of a long extention cord will effect final avalible watts.
Example A 25 foot 20 gauge copper wire will handle a 20 amp load,
But at 100 feet the resistance of the wire drops the amp capacity to about 17.5 amps...[/quote:pnmggxez]
Got ya. Thanks, BOY! :D

wittdog said:
007bond-jb said:
wittdog said:
http://www.louisianausa.com/TeamCoonass/coonass.htm[/url]
Written by cajuns for cajuns...[/quote:2aiwnayb]

I grew up knowing that If you lived on THIS side of Toledo Bend Lake, you were a Texan. If you lived on THAT side the lake you wuz a coonass. :LOL:

On edit......Rag, go for the Honda. ;)

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
I thought it was: E = I * R or Volts = Amps * Resistance. One volt of electrical potential equals one amp of current times one ohm of resistance.

That is true. So if V=IR then Watts = (IR)X(I) or I^2 R

AC or DC. But with generators usually you don't worry about resistance, most things are rated in watts. So if you have a 2000 watt generator it should handle 33 60-watt light bulbs or 20 100-watt bulbs.

BTY a 120 volt 60 watt light bulb has a 240 ohm filiment. E^2/P = R

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom