Gator Spotted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
My wife and I were on the way home from Lowes yesterday and decided to stop at this country store that cooks BBQ on the weekends. I love trying every new BBQ place I can find. Well I pull into the parking lot and what do you know, there's a Budget Mobile sitting there that they're cooking on. So I asked my wife to get me a pulled pork sammich with sauce on the side. This is where it gets bad. I'm sitting in the truck talking on the cell and I watch this old nasty country woman take my wifes order. She opens up those things you keeps stuff hot in (I forgot what you call them) and scoops out some SAUCED Q onto a bun that is sitting on top of a dirty table, no plastic etc. She probably put 2 TBS of pork on this sammich. AND THEN PROCEEDED TO LICK THE SAUCE OFF OF HER FINGER! :eek: :eek: Then grabs the sammiches with her still saliva moistened hands and puts slaw on them. At this point I'm grossed out, but on an important call and could not get my wifes attention to tell her lets get out of here! Well she comes back to the truck and I think WTF I'll eat it,worse goes on behind the scenes we just don't see. Well I bite into the sammiche and the first thing I bite into is a big piece of fat and then I taste nothing but lighter fluid! :ack: I politely wrap up the leftover portion as well as my wife did and we drove around back to the dumpster to throw it away and to my surprise what do I see in the dumpster, 2 empty bags of Matchlight Charcoal [-X . So $10 for two of the worst tasting BBQ sammiches I've ever had in my life and I again realize, it's not the cooker but the cook! These people have one of the best Custom Built Cookers on the market "Gator Pit" and they had not a clue as to what they were doing! #-o

That is sick! Keeping things clean is one thing you dont want to f@#* with when you go into the food service business. If it was me I would have told her to kiss my a$$ and drove off. When I am cooking I am constantly washing my hands. I would never let that lighter fluid $hit near my pit. Like they say it is the cook not the cooker.

Chris

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
At least she wasn't scratching her crotch when she took your order! :eek: :grin: Id call the health goons in a heart beat!

Chris I thought about that. I'm sure she didn't wash her hands after using the facilities either. :-& We live and learn, hopefully tomorrow morning I don't wake up with food poisoning or something worse.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
At least she wasn't scratching her crotch when she took your order!

She probably did that right before they drove up. Thats nasty.

Sounds like some shady characters. They may have stolen the cooker as well.

Brian this was just a little country store 29, about 4 miles N. of Culpeper. It's called Elkwood.

Larry, it this the place on the west side of 29 that looks like a small shack cabin? There is always a line there.

Bill The Grill Guy said:
Larry, it this the place on the west side of 29 that looks like a small shack cabin? There is always a line there.

No Bill the place you're referring to is Jammin' Joes. I stopped by there one time to try it out. :) I got a plain PP sammich for $6.50 and it tasted like it was cooked in a crock pot. Very bland and over sauced. Everything they have is very expensive. But you are right about one thing, there is always a line!! :eek:

If you want good BBQ besides cooking it yourself, go about 1 mile further up 29 and those orange and white step vans on the right is called Slick Willy's. His BBQ is very good and reasonably priced. He's only open on the weekends though. And he also sells crabs and other seafood that is good as well. The place looks very dumpy, but I've eaten there on several occassions and taken seafood home with no problems whatsoever. Give him a try next time you're in the area.

Back
Top Bottom