Frying up Country Ham

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cleglue

Head Chef
I usually do breakfast on Christmas morning. Usually it is bacon, eggs, gravy and biscuits, and country ham.

This is how I liking frying up the ham. I usually soak and rinse…soak and rinse the country ham to get some of the saltiness out. I let this one soak over night. Since country ham is cured you only really need to just warm it up. I like using a slice for frying. I place the slice in the iron skillet and fry it up (just getting it hot). After I fry up a few slices I then cut it up for biscuits. I then place the cut up pieces back in the skillet with a handful of brown sugar and a couple of tablespoons of water. It makes a nice sweet glaze which taste very well with the salty country ham.

You can get biscuit cuts of country ham but to me it is easier to fry the slice than many little pieces.

This brand of country ham is made right here in the small town I live in.

Here are the pictures.

cleglue said:
What brand is that? I pass through Asheboro frequently and I haven't had any country ham in quite awhile. I wouldn't mind picking one up the next time I'm there.

(Edit) Never mind, I found your other post; Phillips Brothers, right??

Sweet stuff is great on ham, bacon too. Add a little sugar to sliced bacon while frying

Larry D. said:
cleglue said:
What brand is that? I pass through Asheboro frequently and I haven't had any country ham in quite awhile. I wouldn't mind picking one up the next time I'm there.

(Edit) Never mind, I found your other post; Phillips Brothers, right??

Larry it is Phillip Brothers.

http://www.phillipsbrotherscountryhams. ... actus.html

I love country ham. The only time I can get it is when the wife isnt with me. I think she is in cohoots with my Dr. :cry:

Tried out a few country hams but never could quite figger out how to desalt em propaly..till I bumped into this hick from Ole Miss who splained how they do it. His way was to just slice off how much you want to eat and place it in the proverbial cast iron skillet and cover it with water. After it chuckles away in the water a bit you dump off the water (along with most of the salt) and add a bit of butter to the pan and brown it up..or sometimes there is enough grease leftover in the bottom of the pan to be able to skip the butter. His theory being not much point in trying to soak the whole ham. Got to desalt each slice individually. Sounded plausible to me. His normal strategy was to dump a cup of black coffee down in there where you had browned up the ham scrape and bubble it up and that give you some stuff called red eye gravy. Sure the sweet stuff be excellent on there too.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Tried out a few country hams but never could quite figger out how to desalt em propaly..till I bumped into this hick from Ole Miss who splained how they do it. His way was to just slice off how much you want to eat and place it in the proverbial cast iron skillet and cover it with water. After it chuckles away in the water a bit you dump off the water (along with most of the salt) and add a bit of butter to the pan and brown it up..or sometimes there is enough grease leftover in the bottom of the pan to be able to skip the butter. His theory being not much point in trying to soak the whole ham. Got to desalt each slice individually. Sounded plausible to me. His normal strategy was to dump a cup of black coffee down in there where you had browned up the ham scrape and bubble it up and that give you some stuff called red eye gravy. Sure the sweet stuff be excellent on there too.

bigwheel

BW red eyed gravy is fantastic, Use strong black coffee no sugar or cream,
You can add a little flower if ya like, but it aint nesasary. pour the gravy on some grits & boy you eatin high on the hog

I don't mind it being a little salty. Reminds me of when I
was little and we went to stay the weekend with some
friends on a farm in eastern NC...my fake uncle took
me out to the barn on Saturday night to get sunday
morning breakfast before church.....we get in there
and it's a big ol moldy hunk of meat...he grabs a machete
and starts wacking away at the outside, and all the salt and
green stuff was falling on the ground. I asked him what
it was....I thought it was for the hogs or something...he
said that's country ham....that's breakfast!"
I told him I wasn't gonna eat that, and he just laughed
but I did....biscuits, red eye gravy, ham, eggs, sausage
and bacon, grits....lawdy I used to love to eat over there.

Captain Morgan said:
I don't mind it being a little salty. Reminds me of when I
was little and we went to stay the weekend with some
friends on a farm in eastern NC...my fake uncle took
me out to the barn on Saturday night to get sunday
morning breakfast before church.....we get in there
and it's a big ol moldy hunk of meat...he grabs a machete
and starts wacking away at the outside, and all the salt and
green stuff was falling on the ground. I asked him what
it was....I thought it was for the hogs or something...he
said that's country ham....that's breakfast!"
I told him I wasn't gonna eat that, and he just laughed
but I did....biscuits, red eye gravy, ham, eggs, sausage
and bacon, grits....lawdy I used to love to eat over there.

I was ready for something unpleasant.....fake uncle, Saturday night, out in the barn..... :roll: :roll:

Back
Top Bottom