For the fans of Good Eats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddog27

Sous Chef
I was wondering how many of you went out and bought a pickle crock after watching the episode of Good Eats - Dill-icious? I did and I can not wait to try making my own pickles!! :D

A guy in my area has some listed on Craig's List.
Been on there for about 6 months. Price drops every week or so.
So I'm just waiting.....maybe another week. :D

Chuck_050382 said:
No pickle crocks yet, but we have been making Garlic dill pickles for the last 4 years. Its my grandma's recipe, and before he died grandpa told my wife they were better than grandma's, so we must be doing something right.
Care to share the recipe?

I am a HUGE fan of good eats. Anything that can be explained by science works for me.

I dont have the pickle thing but I do have his salt dispenser his cookbook and his food log.

:)

Last Saturday I began making my first batch of my own pickles. I am so excited to try them in a few weeks! They already smell great! I will let you know how it turns out! :D :D :D

I've been gardening for 40 years and making pickles on on off during that time - in a crock, in jars, fermented, etc. and have yet to make a batch of pickles I've been happy with. So I've pretty well given up. If anyone has a cucumber type/recipe/ technique that they are willing to share I'd love to give it another try. Clausen Kosher dills are my benchmark. :?: :?:

I make a killer dill crunchy pickle. I recently had the brine tested by Penn State to be sure the acidity was low enough (it is plenty good). No crock, just stuff em in jars with the brine. It's weird, where if I put up a gallon jar of them, the pickle is not as good.
It's a closely guarded recipe. I might share it with those who are pickle deprived, but would have to be showered with gifts, praise and accolades.

Here is the recipe from Good Eats:

Dill Pickles

Recipe courtesy Alton Brown

5 1/2 ounces pickling salt, approximately 1/2 cup
1 gallon filtered water
3 pounds pickling cucumbers, 4 to 6-inches long
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon dill seed
1 large bunch dill

Combine the salt and water in a pitcher and stir until the salt has dissolved.
Rinse the cucumbers thoroughly and snip off the blossom end stem. Set aside.

Place the peppercorns, pepper flakes, garlic, dill seed and fresh dill into a 1-gallon crock. Add the cucumbers to the crock on top of the aromatics. Pour the brine mixture over the cucumbers in order to completely cover. Pour the remaining water into a 1-gallon ziptop plastic bag and seal. Place the bag on top of the pickles making sure that all of them are completely submerged in the brine. Set in a cool, dry place.

Check the crock after 3 days. Fermentation has begun if you see bubbles rising to the top of the crock. After this, check the crock daily and skim off any scum that forms. If scum forms on the plastic bag, rinse it off and return to the top of the crock.

The fermentation is complete when the pickles taste sour and the bubbles have stopped rising; this should take approximately 6 to 7 days. Once this happens, cover the crock loosely and place in the refrigerator for 3 days, skimming daily or as needed. Store for up to 2 months in the refrigerator, skimming as needed. If the pickles should become soft or begin to take on an off odor, this is a sign of spoilage and they should be discarded.

surfinsapo said:
Do yall have a link for a pickle crock? I have to make my own too...

You can usually find them at old time country stores or real hardware stores, and often at garage sales. It doesn't have to be a "pickle" crock - just a crock (glazed ceramic pot) - can be used for pickes, kraut, brining meat, curing meat, etc as they are totally non reactive- like glass.

Back
Top Bottom