For any interested where I been

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smokey_Joe

Head Chef
I check in from time to time, but don't post much. Wife was diagnosed with breast cancer early summer last year. She had a complete double mastectomy in July 08'. Her healing process form that was horrendous.

She just about got her head above water from all of it and then ended up in the hospital for 18 days with pancreatitis back about two months ago.

About 4 days into her hospital stay they tell us that at 40 years old, she has pancreas cancer, esophagus cancer, liver cancer, cancer in her spleen and numerous large blood clots in her portal vein. They showed me the MRI's and CT scans...... the mass's were huge and extremely defined on the edges. Almost 1/3 of her pancreas was a cancer mass.

I LOT of praying and crying went on.........

Will, health proxy, power of attorney etc... A very shocking and humbling experience to say the least.

They were compiling a plan to send her home with a daily nurse on an IV morphine drip and synthetic morphine (Dilodid?) too, so she could be comfortable for how ever many days she had left to live.

Everyone we knew was praying and she was on so sooo many prayer lists. If my faith in God was ever lacking, it was surely renewed.

The day before they were set to send her home, they re-did some sort of elaborate MRI just to be able to track her process if need be if she returned. All of a sudden people are scrambling everywhere..the wheels on her bed didn't stop rolling for the next two days. They tested her inside out and backwards, and no one would give me answers.

Late the second night of testing, in walks her team of doctors with a stack of papers to hand me.They then proceed to explain that everything except for one blood clot and an irritated pancreas has oddly disappeared! Praise GOD! They had NO explanation why.

The next day she was sent home. She's eating a bland diet...for her pancreas (definitely no pulled pork or buffalo turds for her), and she's on Cumadin to thin out the clot.

We go the 29th of this month to get a biopsy of her pancreas and spleen done through endoscopic surgery. Hopefully it shows clean.

Haven't given up my BBQ world, just been sidetracked. Actually have some Swordfish steaks marinating right now for the grill. No red meat for her for quite some time if ever again.

We will add you to the list of those needing prayer along with Bubba's father, Diva's father, and many others!

Good to have you back around Joe, my thoughts and prayers will be with your wife and your family for continued good news.

Hey Joe glad to hear the great news on Mama and it's good to see you back to posting some. Always enjoy your knowledge and wit. My little bride had a single masectomy (sic) about 10 years ago. Fortunantly her's was diagnosed as "carcinoma in situ" which I think means it tends to stay in one place in latin. Anyway she ain't had any additional troubles with it up to this point. Prayers for your's mine and her'uns continueth. Along with unmitigated praises too of course. The Book I got says, "The Lord inhabits the praise of His people." Or something similar..paraphrasing of course. Now don't make me use my fancy smancy shareware Good Book Quoter:)

bigwheel

Man, if you're saying she's in the clear... that's absolutely fantastic and praise God.

My dad's on bi-weekly chemo and has been in and out of emergency a few times. This chemo stuff blows...tearing him up.

Prayers going your way Joe as it sounds like they've been answered. Let's hope she back kicking your ass around for a good long time. ;)

Be sure to take care of yourself too, Joe. It's easy to forget to do that when you've been going through the kind of stuff you have. I hope it all comes out well for the SJ family.

--John

Thank you all for the kind words, thoughts and prayers...I will be sure to relay them to the Mrs.

I know it sounds corny...... But I miss ya'll.

Again........ THANK YOU for all the prayers...they DO help.

SJ

I've been talking to Joe via PM a bit and I'll tell you, when I was reading his story my eyes started watering and I immediately said a prayer for Joe's wife and his family......and then hugged my wife. I all of a sudden felt very very fortunate....

Joe, I cannot imagine going through what you're going through, but you ALL will get through it one way or the other. Stay strong and remember you have alot of friends here!

I ain't got the words... but you and your family will be in my families thoughts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom