First Fall 2012 Sausage Making

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cookking

Sous Chef
Tonight I boned out and cut cut up 33 lbs of pork butts that I then ground for making Sausage. Ended up making about 15 lbs of Italian, 10 lbs of Hot Italian and 8 lbs of Cajun Sausage. Got them all mixed up and waiting to be stuffed into casings tomorrow morning.
Set up and ready to start grinding. Gotta have a cold beverage to be able to do this hard work.
img_253233_0_c5f1b4948924b9487ce8986ff2110d3b.jpg

All ground up! Now to mix in the seasonings.
img_253233_1_82a7e8927fbb1b745d9896cabb594902.jpg

Both Italian mixtures with a blend of four shredded cheeses.
img_253233_2_5e0192f90fd19eea70199c5643a6d80e.jpg

The regular Italain plus a bit more black pepper, red pepper flakes and a dash of cayenne.
img_253233_3_92677b2a3ec04868eae06889107769d5.jpg

Last but not least the Cajun mixture using my own homemade Cajun seasoning.
img_253233_4_62cc6c40b3eb769ee659631fdd2115c9.jpg

After these soak all that good flavor I'll do a lil test patty of each in the moning and then get 'em stuffed.

Looking good. Now I believe in giving the overnight rest with the mix inside the cases as opposed to out. Makes its much much easier to stuff. More like meat and less like Portland Cement..lol.

Busy day yesterday but I did get the sausage stuffed. I put them in the fridge until this evening when they will be linked, packaged and frozen.
During the stuffing process
img_253255_0_85e81604e372a085526ff6fe8e7f1d2a.jpg

Test patties
img_253255_1_2aead52962f44978d92beb0220d24602.jpg

While I had fried sausage patties I scrambled a few eggs for the wife and myself. Good breakfast!
img_253255_2_a23b4b067715fc53c5c5c413ed392ffc.jpg

Looking good. Now I believe in giving the overnight rest with the mix inside the cases as opposed to out. Makes its much much easier to stuff. More like meat and less like Portland Cement..lol.

BW, I never had the problem of the meat being that difficult to stuff. Are you adding liquid to the meat when you mix in your spices? That or you must be using one of those cast iron stuffers. I've heard of some guys using a hand stuffer(which I've not seen before)and they say it takes forever.
If you like making your own sausage you should get one of the hand crank stuffers like I have in the picture. Only about $80.00 form either Grizzly or Northern Tool.

Yeah I just always used the three pound lever action from the Sausage Maker in Buffler, Noo Yawk. Praying hard for all those nice folks in the way of the big storm by the way. Anyway..I discovered early on my sausage making was going to be a one man show..and the lever action model allows that..harder you push down on the lever the firmer it gets plastered to the counter. I also dont have the facilities for a permanent mount a screw type with nuts and bolts etc. Now that work like a champ till you start trying to poke seasoned/cured/salted meat through it. Swear thought I was going to break the handle off of it a few times on that deal. So I read the good advice of somebody who say let it cure in the cases..and had no further issues. I know a lot of the old timey recipes claim a person is supposed to let it set loose overnight but think it some kinda urban myth. Have tried it both ways and its above my pay grade to tell the difference in the finished product. Even with a big boy stuffer its easier on the equipment to let it set up in the cases. Thats my story..and I'm sticking to it..lol. You giving me a craving to make some..bad boy.

Well, my wife and I finished linking and packaging up all the sausage last night. We ended up with 16 packages of Italian, 6 of Hot Italian and 6 of Cajun sausage.
13 qt bowl of Italian sausage
img_253279_0_fb4483c26fe76e689a8206dff9175600.jpg

28 packages of delicious goodness
img_253279_1_b1b3c7f748b8a2c4f27fb45df1f34bc0.jpg

Yeah I just always used the three pound lever action from the Sausage Maker in Buffler, Noo Yawk. Praying hard for all those nice folks in the way of the big storm by the way. Anyway..I discovered early on my sausage making was going to be a one man show..and the lever action model allows that..harder you push down on the lever the firmer it gets plastered to the counter. I also dont have the facilities for a permanent mount a screw type with nuts and bolts etc. Now that work like a champ till you start trying to poke seasoned/cured/salted meat through it. Swear thought I was going to break the handle off of it a few times on that deal. So I read the good advice of somebody who say let it cure in the cases..and had no further issues. I know a lot of the old timey recipes claim a person is supposed to let it set loose overnight but think it some kinda urban myth. Have tried it both ways and its above my pay grade to tell the difference in the finished product. Even with a big boy stuffer its easier on the equipment to let it set up in the cases. Thats my story..and I'm sticking to it..lol. You giving me a craving to make some..bad boy.

I've had to do some stuffing by myself at times. After using the stuffer one time I came up with a solution. We have granite countertops so using the clamps was a no no. I took an extra plastic cutting board I had and drilled holes and mounted on the bottomside permanant parts that I can screw thumb screws from above to mount and hold down the stuffer. Add rubber feet to keep it off the countertop and it's removeable for cleaning and storing. Problem solved!

stufferbase004.jpg

stufferbase003.jpg

stufferbase002.jpg

stufferbase001.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom