Firefighters' occupational hazards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unity

Executive Chef
The Associated Press said:
Warehouse Fire Claims Ton of Marijuana

The Associated Press
Friday, June 22, 2007; 6:28 AM

EDINBURG, Texas -- Firefighters who spent half an hour fighting a blaze in which 2,000 pounds of marijuana went up in smoke breathed so much of it that they would have failed a drug test, a fire chief said.

It took more than 35 firefighters, 1,000 gallons of water and five gallons of chemical suppressant to extinguish the warehouse blaze on Wednesday, Fire Chief Shawn Snider said.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents were investigating the origin of the drugs. The Hidalgo County fire marshal was investigating whether arson was the cause.

Snider said Thursday the firefighters were exposed to so much marijuana smoke that they would not be able to pass a drug test, despite wearing air packs to prevent them from inhaling toxic or hazardous fumes.
--John 8)

Edit: Oops, I didn't see the thread about the firefighters who died in the line of duty until after I posted this -- no disrespect intended. :(

Firefighting is the most thankless job on the planet. My hat, if I had one on, would go off to each and every one of them. I did a demo of a night vision camera to a local dept. and had the opportunity to go into a burning house they were training on and let me tell you...they don't pay these guys enough money to do that. [smilie=bowdown.gif]

Back
Top Bottom