Error messages

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john a

Executive Chef
I not only get that but when I try to respond to a General BBQ or General Discussion posts I get this - Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form. Cannot respond to eather thread from home PC no matter what I do???

John A. said:
I not only get that but when I try to respond to a General BBQ or General Discussion posts I get this - Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form. Cannot respond to eather thread from home PC no matter what I do???

Thats what I have been getting here as well irrtitating isnt it???? I usually have to click the button to enter my post 4 times to get it to go in.

From the tech dept that hosts this forum:

Invalid session may be caused by:

1. AOL user

as extracted from phpbb website:

phpBB2 uses sessions to keep track of users as they browse the board. These sessions use a combination of a unique session id and the users IP to identify each user. We make use of the IP as an extra safe-guard to help prevent sessions being hijacked (by discovering the unique session id).

Unfortunately this only works when the users IP is constant as they browse the board. For most users this will be the case. However certain providers route their users via a cluster of proxys. In some cases, particularly AOL this results in different IPs being forwarded as the user moves between pages. We take account of this by not checking the entire IP but only the first "three quads". Again in most cases this will be fine. However again AOL uses IPs which can vary so much that checking only the first two quads results in a fairly static IP being available for session validation.

solution: they may always encounter this kinda issue due to the way AOL assign the ip address. if you have many users running on AOL, we may be able to set your forum to check on the first 2 quads instead of the normal 3. however, there is a high risk of session hijacking

2. user is using web proxy server to browse website to hide their identity

solution: none. in fact we want to get rid of this kinda users

3. web accelerator

solution: turn it off

I hope this helps...

Greg

I'm on AOL through Brighthouse, no problems elsewhere. Now when trying to respond to posts I'm required to sign on again after after clicking on "Post a reply" after being signed on initially.

Greg Rempe said:
From the tech dept that hosts this forum:

Invalid session may be caused by:

1. AOL user

as extracted from phpbb website:

phpBB2 uses sessions to keep track of users as they browse the board. These sessions use a combination of a unique session id and the users IP to identify each user. We make use of the IP as an extra safe-guard to help prevent sessions being hijacked (by discovering the unique session id).

Unfortunately this only works when the users IP is constant as they browse the board. For most users this will be the case. However certain providers route their users via a cluster of proxys. In some cases, particularly AOL this results in different IPs being forwarded as the user moves between pages. We take account of this by not checking the entire IP but only the first "three quads". Again in most cases this will be fine. However again AOL uses IPs which can vary so much that checking only the first two quads results in a fairly static IP being available for session validation.

solution: they may always encounter this kinda issue due to the way AOL assign the ip address. if you have many users running on AOL, we may be able to set your forum to check on the first 2 quads instead of the normal 3. however, there is a high risk of session hijacking

2. user is using web proxy server to browse website to hide their identity

solution: none. in fact we want to get rid of this kinda users

3. web accelerator

solution: turn it off

I hope this helps...

Greg

Yep and done thanks!!!!

Back
Top Bottom