DUCK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smokey_Joe

Head Chef
Anyone ever deep fry a duck? I'm going to try it as an extra for X-Mas day.

I did make some deep fried battered bacon yesterday......OMG... to die for... (hey wait... that might be a pun) <graspingchest>....ohhhhhhhhhh but it tasted sooooooo so good!

I've never fried a duck before, but my initial thought is, I wouldn't do it. Way too much fat in the duck in my opinion.

True story - I once deep fried a boston butt, this is the exact reason I'm advising not to fry the duck! The but was black as the ace of spades and burnt beyond recognition.

You talking about a wild or domestic duck? I'm with Larry, domestic ducks are way too fat to fry. Don't know how a wild duck would turn out, might be interesting if it was one of the good tasting ducks, mallard, pintail, etc.

Griff

Smokey_Joe said:
Anyone ever deep fry a duck? I'm going to try it as an extra for X-Mas day.

I did make some deep fried battered bacon yesterday......OMG... to die for... (hey wait... that might be a pun) <graspingchest>....ohhhhhhhhhh but it tasted sooooooo so good!
Don't tell John Pen about the Deep Fried Bacon..we once used 7lbs of bacon on a day we got together...everything was bacon wrapped. ;)

I was going to do a domestic. Yes with skin on. I have done many turkeys, and can't figure why a duck would be too much different.

I know the domestics seem to be much thicker with fat, but wouldn't most of that cook off, the same as the fat areas in a turkey when deep fried?

The Mrs. is still doing a turkey in the house.... but I start having withdrawals if I don't cook something myself when friends and family are around.

I figure it's gonna be a harmless time to try it. No harm no "fowl" right? ;)

I'm with smokey Joe on this one...now I'm just thinking out loud here...but isn't the difference between a butt and foul the intramuscular fat? Pork has it and fowl doesn't?

Smokey_Joe said:
I was going to do a domestic. Yes with skin on. I have done many turkeys, and can't figure why a duck would be too much different.

I know the domestics seem to be much thicker with fat, but wouldn't most of that cook off, the same as the fat areas in a turkey when deep fried?

The Mrs. is still doing a turkey in the house.... but I start having withdrawals if I don't cook something myself when friends and family are around.

I figure it's gonna be a harmless time to try it. No harm no "fowl" right? ;)

Joe, I like you attitude, "why not" try it! Cause you will never know till you try it!! Like I said I've never deep fried a duck, but if you saw what my deep fried butt looked like it may change your mind! In any case, please follow up on your finished product and let us know how it turned out and please include pic's, especially for us naysayers! I really hope you prove us wrong!!

wittdog said:
I'm with smokey Joe on this one...now I'm just thinking out loud here...but isn't the difference between a butt and foul the intramuscular fat? Pork has it and fowl doesn't?

I'm talking about the outside fat/meat/etc was totally black and inedible. Shoot I don't know, the duck may work............

Larry Wolfe said:
wittdog said:

I'm talking about the outside fat/meat/etc was totally black and inedible. Shoot I don't know, the duck may work............
That explains alot....everytime BW tells someone to fry a picnic...you go off the deep end :D

wittdog said:
Larry Wolfe said:
wittdog said:

That explains alot....everytime BW tells someone to fry a picnic...you go off the deep end :D

[smilie=a_takethatfoo.gif]

Here's an update to the DUCK saga....

The answer is YES, you can deep fry a duck!

Just to add interest.... with the differing of opinions here... I couldn't resist grabbing the duck priced >>> $13.13 <<<... thought maybe the price would use up and take all the bad luck from the cook.

It was a little over 6lbs. and it cooked to an internal temp of 190 in just about 18-20 minutes.

It browned and crisped nicely, and even though it seemed quite fatty when I thawed it out..... it had next to NO fat left when it was done. Definately nothing like cooking it in the oven. I doubt I will ever bother roasting a duck again, deep frying seems to be the way......it seems to dissolve all that extra greasy duck fat.

I did a 24lb. gobbler in the oil first... turned out nicely, but it was such a big bird for the pot, the wings and legs were crushed against the sides and burnt some. The wings ended up being tossed, but the legs were mostly salvagable. New learning experience for me.... if it touches the inside of kettle... it's gonna cook WAY quicker then the rest! If I was smarter then I look, common sense should have clued me in on that one beforehand.

In the pics the wire rack looks rusted...it's not, that's on there from doing the turkey first. I didn't clean it before doing the duck.

I left the peanut oil out on the porch... it came out of the jug like tapioca pudding.... was a littleeeeee cold....LOL first pic is of the oil before it heated up.

COLD COLD PEANUT OIL
img_77075_0_3a118f470067fe4f28560b19283d7126.jpg

$13.13
img_77075_1_fce7f85929d41e5fe59bc250d274b346.jpg

READY FOR A SWIM
img_77075_2_0acccd113d78d6c216286d5eea2f7b9e.jpg

5-6 MINUTES IN AT ABOUT 370... JUST CHECKING TO SEE IF IT WAS GOING TO QUICKLY BURN TO A CRISP
img_77075_3_91ba2629cd819131b404895452d67a6c.jpg

JUST COMING OUT...INTERNAL TEMP OF 190
img_77075_4_3fc310ba03eca33b092cd19779f23646.jpg

SOME.... OF WHAT I COULD SNAP A PIC OF AFTER I WASHED MY HANDS AND BEFORE I COULD TURN BACK AROUND WITH CAMERA....HALF THE MEAT GONE!
img_77075_5_7cfdae85b8cce1a1690833dc21c21698.jpg

Back
Top Bottom