Dang Pool!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

backyardbbq

Senior Cook
Well today I noticed that the cover on my pool was tearing and falling into the pool. We've had a lot of snow this year so there is quite a bit of water, or ice, on on top of the pool cover. I went to try and loosen the cover so it wouldn't damage the walls of the pool, its an above ground pool. As I begin to loosen the ratchet that holds it in place, the cable snaps leaving me holding the ratchet with no cable no longer attached to it. :shock: I now find my self next to a pool with no water and a huge chunk of ice in it. :shock: I have no idea where the water could be leaking at, or why. Once the huge hunk of ice melts and I can look at the liner, I'll update ya'll with what I find.

backyardbbq said:
Well today I noticed that the cover on my pool was tearing and falling into the pool. We've had a lot of snow this year so there is quite a bit of water, or ice, on on top of the pool cover. I went to try and loosen the cover so it wouldn't damage the walls of the pool, its an above ground pool. As I begin to loosen the ratchet that holds it in place, the cable snaps leaving me holding the ratchet with no cable no longer attached to it. :shock: I now find my self next to a pool with no water and a huge chunk of ice in it. :shock: I have no idea where the water could be leaking at, or why. Once the huge hunk of ice melts and I can look at the liner, I'll update ya'll with what I find.

psssssst.... the huge chunk of ice....IS the water :oops: :LOL:

Oh, I don't know. The only water in the pool is the water that was on top of pool cover. That huge hunk of ice the only water in the pool, so I can't look for a leak untill I get the pool cover out from under my big ice block :(

Was there any water in the pool when you covered it? I know in my pool we only drain to just below the filter intake and then cover.

We drained it to just below the filter, which left something like 3 feet of water in it. I winterized it the same way this year as I did last year and I didn't have any problems last winter. This is only our second winter with the pool and I don't know the acctual age of the pool, so its quite possible the pool is 15 years old. We're supposed to have a warm stretch starting soon, so maybe I can get a look by Friday.

Did you block to bottom of the filter opening? Maybe the ice and water on the top of the cover pushed all the water in the pool out of the filter opening?

Like I said we don't any or very little ice here. When I bought this cover they showed an elephant standing on it. When it rains the water goes right through it. When we take it off each spring it only takes about 45mins to an hour to get it ready. Notice in the 3rd pic it has screw out anchors that you hook the straps to. Just don't how it works with the ice.

Tannehill Kid said:
Like I said we don't any or very little ice here. When I bought this cover they showed an elephant standing on it. When it rains the water goes right through it. When we take it off each spring it only takes about 45mins to an hour to get it ready. Notice in the 3rd pic it has screw out anchors that you hook the straps to. Just don't how it works with the ice.

The pool in question is an above ground pool, not a built in.

Nick Prochilo said:
[quote="Tannehill Kid":ym5zcnj8]Like I said we don't any or very little ice here. When I bought this cover they showed an elephant standing on it. When it rains the water goes right through it. When we take it off each spring it only takes about 45mins to an hour to get it ready. Notice in the 3rd pic it has screw out anchors that you hook the straps to. Just don't how it works with the ice.

The pool in question is an above ground pool, not a built in.[/quote:ym5zcnj8]oooops

Nick Prochilo said:
Did you block to bottom of the filter opening? Maybe the ice and water on the top of the cover pushed all the water in the pool out of the filter opening?

No I didn't do that only because I didn't do it the year before and I didn't have this problem. I spoke with a pool shop thats close to me and they think its probably a leak in the liner, other than the filter or jet openings. This pool shop is the same shop that sold the pool to the previous owner and the pool is at least 10 years old.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom