damaged goods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WellDigger

Assistant Cook
I just received my Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5'' smoker Friday. I have wanted one for quite a while. During assembly I found the charcoal chamber to be egg shaped but with some minor manipulation I got it back to "roundish", so moving on I then found the door assembly handle to have been bent in to where the 2 top corners of the door were a full inch off of the side of the WSM when the latch was closed. Once again I manipulated the door to where it closed with some semblance of a tight fit/seal. So now it is Sunday and time for my first brisket. I filled the charcoal chamber with briquets and used the Minion method to start. I placed the center section on filled the water bowl with boiling water, added the top grate and then put the lid on. It snapped into place and I thought "nice air tight fit". Then I went in and gave my brisket it's final rub allowing the smoker to level out at 225. When I tried to remove the lid the entire center section shifted, leaned and allowed water from the bowl to fall to the bottom bowl. All I could hear was cracking porcelain,(insert cuss word here) re-centering the middle section I then held the door assembly handle as I pulled up as straight as possible on the lid. About the time my face got pelted with hot porcelain chunks (insert 2 choice cuss words here) the lid came free. It was then after CLOSE inspection that I could see where the outer rim of the center section was bent in slightly making a too tight fit. Worst part was the box it came in had NO damage. So I called Weber customer service and they will have my new center section here by Tuesday. The guy offered to replace the charcoal chamber and door assembly too, but I told him that they are just fine now. At least Weber stands by their products and gave me no hassle help. OOPS! time to check that temp on the brisket. I'll try to post a picture and recipe later.

You may find the use of water to be more of a hassle than it is worth.

For the record, I used water for the first few cooks myself.

Good luck with the cook. Take some pics.

Back
Top Bottom