Crock Dill Pickles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wittdog

Master Chef
We are off to the farmers market to see if the pickles are in, we are planning to make some crock dills =P~
Here are the pickles cleaned and ready to be put on ice….

I’ll update this project as it progresses..

Grandpa K's Crock Dill Pickles
1 Peck pickles
3 Bunches Dill
2 Heads Garlic
2 Grape Leaves
Brine
5 qts. water
2 c white vinegar
1 c salt

1 Place Grape leaves on the bottom of crock add dill, pickles, and garlic.
2.Repeat layer till all are used
3. Bring Brine to full Boil.
4. Pour over until all the layers in Crock are Covered
5. Place plate on top with Gallon Jug Filled with Water.
6. Let stand in cool place for about a week before eating. (Start checking them after 2 days)

After we wash the cucumbers we ice them down for a couple of hours, ( It helps to make a crispy pickle)
We also put about 2 pieces of Garlic a layer.

The first layer of pickles

A layer of Dill

Almost done they just need to be covered in another layer on dill and then the brine needs to be poured on…

My grandparents would make these every year with cukes right from there garden…..We are using there old crock which holds a triple batch of pickles….

Big Mike said:
You read my mind, I was wondering what Crock Pickles were. Thanks.

Mike
It's hard to find the big crocks now a days...In this area I think everyone's grandparents made these...But like a lot of things this tradition has fallen to the wayside #-o
BTW the kids had a good time helping.

Big Mike said:
Could you just use a 5 gallon bucket? I'm gonna have a ton of cukes out of the garden.

Mike
Probably but make sure it is food grade plastic...Those cukes sit in it for about a week...

Chuckwagoncook said:
Okay cool, thats a big crock you have there.... =D> #-o =D> #-o =D> #-o

I only have a 5 gallon crock, some day when i grow up I will have a big crock too!!

I will just have to cut the batch in half......
:eek: :eek: Oooohhh... #-o

Chuckwagoncook said:
Okay cool, thats a big crock you have there.... =D> #-o =D> #-o =D> #-o

I only have a 5 gallon crock, some day when i grow up I will have a big crock too!!

I will just have to cut the batch in half......
What a crock! :razz: :grin:

the recipe I posted is for a single batch...You could probably get a double batch in a 5 gal crock....or use whatever cukes you can't get in and make bread and butter pickles....

Shawn White said:
do you can these when they are done? if not how long do they keep?
We do can some of them when they are done...As far as when the pickles are ready you need to test them after a couple of days...depending on the size of the pickles and other variables.....We do can some of the pickles when they are done....We mix up a fresh batch of brine and put a fresh sprig of dill in along with the a piece of garlic....They will keep for a decent lenght of time if you don't can them.....I don't know how long becuase the ones we make tend not to stick around very long....the ones we made last year and canned were still crispy as of yesterday..We ate the last jar for last year yesterday..Hope I answered your question.

yup that did it thanks ...

my family used to make pickles every year but crammed the jars full of cukes and stuff, filled with hot brine then canned them ... I'm gonna have to try a small batch of these crock dills

thanks for the recipe

Shawn White said:
yup that did it thanks ...

my family used to make pickles every year but crammed the jars full of cukes and stuff, filled with hot brine then canned them ... I'm gonna have to try a small batch of these crock dills

thanks for the recipe

I think that's how my mom did them-- she also sliced them and they were always soggy. The crock dills stay crisp. They are similar to (but better than :!: ) the Claussen dills.

Back
Top Bottom