Crawfish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wittdog said:
CajunRoo where is the 007 version of the boil..I could have done a search and come up with dat...you holding out on us?
Where is the sausage in those recipes?
I was think ing the same thing.. He always shows us other peoples recipes.. atleast ronbreaux makes up his own... makes me wonder sometimes..... :idea: :idea: :idea:

You guys are brutal!

Here is the scoop;
Buy a sack and get a bag of Zatarans or Louisiana or some other mix that says it's for one sack and pour it in 60 out of an 80 quart pot. A sack will be between 32 and 48lbs depending on how big the crawdads are.
Then add what you want as far as lemon, garlic, sausage, potato, brussel sprouts, mushrooms, corn, onions, or whatever.

The trick is to bring the pot up to a rolling boil and THEN put in the crawdads. If you put in the potatos or corn, do them first, then add the crawdads.

Bring it back to a boil and let it go for 5 minutes. Turn off the fire and let them sit until they sink and then sample one every now and then until you like them. The longer they sit the more hot they will be, especially if you use the Louisiana brand!

You can also throw in a bag of ice when you shut it down to stop them from cooking and they will sink quicker and soak up more flavor quicker.

My inlaws like more salt that comes in the bag so they throw a 1/2 box of salt in as well.

These were made using a mix from the seafood place I bought them from and were mild and not too salty. I don't like the kind that blister your lips when you eat them, but there are plenty of people around here that do.

The thing about a recipe is that it is a guide on most things and an absolute on some things.

Enjoy!

Now those are some good instructions ronbeaux50.....Now to find some large crawfish down here... We have shrimp in bamboo skewers for 10 cents each right now though.... do you do shrimp boils too? often?

ronbeaux50 said:
You guys are brutal!

The thing about a recipe is that it is a guide on most things and an absolute on some things.

Enjoy!

Right on both counts! Thanks for that info, picture and video were great!

I haven't boiled crawfish in years, We got La Boilers not far from my house Place an order,They do the work & you pickem up Hot and fresh.
Really they have so many company boils this time of the year I get burned out on em :oops:
& GT Yes you can boil shrimp & crab I prefer XXL jumbo shrimp boiled.

Also most packs of boil season have directions on them. Everyone adds stuff to taste onions garlic Sausage Ect...

007bond-jb said:
I haven't boiled crawfish in years, We got La Boilers not far from my house Place an order,They do the work & you pickem up Hot and fresh.
Really they have so many company boils this time of the year I get burned out on em :oops:
& GT Yes you can boil shrimp & crab I prefer XXL jumbo shrimp boiled.

Also most packs of boil season have directions on them. Everyone adds stuff to taste onions garlic Sausage Ect...
SS he's holding out on us. :LOL:

What do mean PW?

SS you boil shrimp whole (head on) Don't boil headless use them for gumbo

wittdog said:
007bond-jb said:
What do mean PW?

SS you boil shrimp whole (head on) Don't boil headless use them for gumbo
What if we can't find the head on shirmp?

I duno We don't them kinda problems here :roll:

I have never tried nore seen anyone boil headless before. I'll tell ya who to ask is Knine or Buffarilo, They both live a stones throw from the Shrimp boat docks...

Can yall git whole crab?

surfinsapo said:
Now those are some good instructions ronbeaux50.....Now to find some large crawfish down here... We have shrimp in bamboo skewers for 10 cents each right now though.... do you do shrimp boils too? often?
SS we buy 1000 pounds of shrimp here at the dealership each year and divide them up. I put up 100 -200 pounds a year myself. We pull the heads off and freeze them. Use the larger shrimp for fryers and the rest for boils, gumbos and creoles. We don't buy until inland shrimp season which is the first of May.

JB, What other type of stuff can go into a boil? Have you experimented? Also, TH, Do you ever use dried shrimp for cooking? A friend sfrom Houma here uses them. We can get many of the the cajun food here since we are neighbors... I like to bring home food from "Boudin King" in Crowley..Thanks for your help neighbors to the east... :D

hell you can put anything that will hold up in the boil . i like take sum bell peppers and slice them up in 1/2" strips and put them in there too . i have put chicken legs too turkey necks and heard of sum people putting a pork loin in the boil . also i like the little smokies in the boil also .

but there is a 1000 ways to boil shrimp , crawdads and da crabs . its all in the how long you let them boil and soak ..............................

i love the birds eyes 1/2 corns frozen and after you cut the fire off drop them in and let em soak up the love .

surfinsapo said:
JB, What other type of stuff can go into a boil? Have you experimented? Also, TH, Do you ever use dried shrimp for cooking? A friend sfrom Houma here uses them. We can get many of the the cajun food here since we are neighbors... I like to bring home food from "Boudin King" in Crowley..Thanks for your help neighbors to the east... :D

You can boil anything exept that wouln't fall to pieces. I done broccolli & cauliflour in a Tied off crawfish sack But broccolli cooks too fast Cauliflour works best n cut the whole head leaves & all. (in a sack Sap) :LOL: mushrooms & sausage also rock. Like Ron said put the veggies that take longest in 1st even before the pot comes up to boilin I like super spicy corn so i put it in with the tators. Use caution corn is like a sponge so is cauliflour. allways put onions & garlic whole un peeled & un cut. Some will fall apart but some woun't fine them & keep em for youself :twisted: there killer.

Cook with dried shrimp??? NO! Never! we eat them as a snack with a Hubigs pie & a pop. We eat them like you people eat peanuts... BOY!

PS you asked me about the shrimp before GT

surfinsapo said:
I've never used dried shrimp for anything. One other thing we put in with a crawfish boil is hotdog weinees. Like others have said if it will stay together put it in there. We have put eggs in there and boiled them and the seasoning off your hands get on the boiled egg and taste pretty good too. The seasoning is coming off the shells of the crawfish when you are peeling them. Hope that makes sense.

Tannehill Kid said:
surfinsapo said:
I've never used dried shrimp for anything. One other thing we put in with a crawfish boil is hotdog weinees. Like others have said if it will stay together put it in there. We have put eggs in there and boiled them and the seasoning off your hands get on the boiled egg and taste pretty good too. The seasoning is coming off the shells of the crawfish when you are peeling them. Hope that makes sense.

I wounder how eggs would taste boiled & peeled then left to soak in the boil brine for a while on simmer :D I'll bet they would rock dude.

Hey THK & Ron Yall forgot to tell them Boys, the boilin brine works as good as Round Up on weeds :shock:

And GT DO NOT TRY TO BOIL SEAFOOD WITH ROUND UP... BOY!

Hey THK & Ron Yall forgot to tell them Boys, the boilin brine works as good as Round Up on weeds

You got that right. It will kill it fater than roundup. I'm leaving work now heading to the house to get ready for the boil. Been up since 3:15 started the pit and smoked 2 turkeys for dinner tomorrow. Will post pics later.

Back
Top Bottom