Country Fried Venison Steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
Pounded out some venison steaks, then coated with seasoned flour (baking powder, granulated garlic, granulated onion, salt and pepper) and fried up. Then used the pan dripping along with the seasoned flour to make the gravy.

img_178262_0_a63908e4cf21f48b55a5f191eee0e09b.jpg
img_178262_1_9696deea3e2f2572146648c4a7525c2c.jpg
img_178262_2_852f63ba2a3401904a8a5825233e4c45.jpg
img_178262_3_db1657bbf77b093d2bf30dd4e8e1f61a.jpg
img_178262_4_6c518945793682a4b9b7bfe529e1141b.jpg
img_178262_5_c0ae24518f4cc3a390fa4582ddbb867a.jpg

just about the same way I do mine Larry, except I slice up onions and make rings to lay on the venison as it cooks, adds alot of flavor

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Captain Morgan":257hguce]gravy from a can????

No Jim, remember I was raised in NC, you can't graduate High School if you don't know how to make gravy.......[/quote:257hguce]

I like that, I was making sawmill gravy in the 4th grade :shock:

Good job Larry. Now whut did you beat on it with? Did it come out nice n tender? How come my gravy don't ever look that white? I knew a lady one time who made real bright white gravy like that one time but it tasted like Wall Paper paste :shock: Sure yours don't do that. Whut is up with this baking powder in the flour? Do that make the crust of the steak rise up or something? Thanks.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Good job Larry. Now whut did you beat on it with? Did it come out nice n tender?

I beat it with one of THESE. Just becareful when you're beating your meat, this hammer will rip the meat if you do it too thin.

bigwheel said:
How come my gravy don't ever look that white? I knew a lady one time who made real bright white gravy like that one time but it tasted like Wall Paper paste :shock: Sure yours don't do that.

The trick with the gravy is to not over brown the flour, before adding the milk. But you need to cook the flour enough to eliminate the gummy wallpaper texture. Basically the flour is as follows.

Drain all the grease from the pan you fry the steaks, except for about 1/4 cup, then add about a quarter cup of flour to the pan over medium heat. Whisk until all of the flour is incorporated into the grease and you have a consistency of a thick pancake batter. Then slowly whisk in your milk little bits at a time. Each time you add milk wait until it boils before adding more, continue to do so until you get the amount and consistency you want.

bigwheel said:
Whut is up with this baking powder in the flour? Do that make the crust of the steak rise up or something? Thanks.

bigwheel

The baking powder makes the crust lighter and crispier.

Well thanks for them tips. I am the proud owner of one of them meat beating hammers but I never could make it tenderize anything..so I gave up. I must have the cheap model. I will instruct the warden on adding the milk a little at a time. She always dumps hers all at once.

bigwheel

Larry Wolfe said:
bigwheel said:
Good job Larry. Now whut did you beat on it with? Did it come out nice n tender?

I beat it with one of THESE. Just becareful when you're beating your meat, this hammer will rip the meat if you do it too thin.

bigwheel said:
How come my gravy don't ever look that white? I knew a lady one time who made real bright white gravy like that one time but it tasted like Wall Paper paste :shock: Sure yours don't do that.

The trick with the gravy is to not over brown the flour, before adding the milk. But you need to cook the flour enough to eliminate the gummy wallpaper texture. Basically the flour is as follows.

Drain all the grease from the pan you fry the steaks, except for about 1/4 cup, then add about a quarter cup of flour to the pan over medium heat. Whisk until all of the flour is incorporated into the grease and you have a consistency of a thick pancake batter. Then slowly whisk in your milk little bits at a time. Each time you add milk wait until it boils before adding more, continue to do so until you get the amount and consistency you want.

bigwheel said:
Whut is up with this baking powder in the flour? Do that make the crust of the steak rise up or something? Thanks.

bigwheel

The baking powder makes the crust lighter and crispier.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom