Corolla, NC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick Prochilo

Chef Extraordinaire
I've got a couple of friends heading down to Corolla,NC later this Spring. I'm sure somebody on this board has been there. Can you recomend a couple of BBQ places for me to recomend to them? Thanks

I'm not certain where it is. I only know Durham, Mt Airy (Aunt Beas BBQ is actually pretty respectable), Burlington, and Shelby.

Chris Finney said:
Nick,
If I'm that close to water... I'm eating fish.
Sorry dude, don't know of any Q joints in that area. :-(

I'm with ya on that one Chris! Can't get much fresher unless you catch it yourself!

I'm at work, when I get home I'll get you some joints in the area. I've got an incredible book where some nut like us went to every q joint he could find in North Carolina....well over 100. He breaks em down by area.
There's a link to the book's website on my website's front page
www.bbqboard.com

There are no really famous joints in that region, and just a joints at all.

Captain Bob's ...Hertford
Shoulders for the chopped, hams for the sliced, both cooked over charcoal. Chopped is run through a Hobart, which get's a little too minced for me. Vinegar sauce. Good Brunswick stew. #252-426-1811

FB Duncan's Bar-B-Q.....Manteo

seafood also available. Whole hogs on a Nunnery Freeman Kook-Rite. Hand shreds the meat. Vinegar sauce. #252-473-6464

Lanes Family Barbecue ...Edenton
Shoulders cooked over charcoal in a big pit in the back. Also minces with a Hobart.
Hams for sliced. Vinegar sauce. Yellow slaw, as opposed the dominance of white slaw in the east. Hushpuppies may be a bit greasy at times.
#252-482-4008

Tucks Restaurant...Elizabeth City has closed.
They had seafood and bbq. whole hog over electric cookers. Vinegar sauce, coarse chopped, buffet available.

If you're going to coming down from Virginia in that corner, that's about it. But if you;re coming from the Raleigh or Ricky Mount area, you're near several of the top 5 NC joints. Let me know you're route if you'd like more info.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom