Corn Steamer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hillbilly1

Sous Chef
Well, they use em for clams, I've heard some use one for corn, so, findin what little info there was, some figurin an a few parts, I built one.

img_197748_0_2dbb0ce981e7b06f32f7f669197ee329.jpg

Inside is 6 eye bolts what support two grill racks.

You can get bout 70 ears a corn in it. I add 5 gallons a water, some rock salt an cajun seasonin. Fire up the turkey burner an let'er go. After a bit, ya start ta smell that wonderfull sweet smell with a hint a cajun, then the steam starts shootin out the handle holes. Makes some fine sweet corn!

And yes it's galvanized! Like I said they been usin em for clam cooks fer years. When I get some time an a bit of extra cash I'm gonna have a water test done to see what is in it. Seeins how the unit never gets super hot, I don't think there gonna be anythin in there that didn't start there.

And yes, I will trim off the bolts, had ta use it before I had time to!

Bobberqer said:
hmmm who is "they"....

galvenized and food just dont go together.. exspecially food contact with the galvenized

Several thousand people what do clam cooks on the coast ever year. I knew I was gonna take flak on the galvenized, so that's why I posted it the way I did.

I will eventually get a batch a water tested an be able to say ya er nay to this debate.

I have a 16 gallon SS beer keg with the top cut out that would work on that kinda deal. Not quite as big but it has built in handles etc.

bigwheel

Back in the old days my papa would buy a brand new galvenized garbage can, he would use a scrub brush & comit to clean it, We boiled many pounds of FRESH caught crawfish in em over a wood fire. we used em for trash after the 1st boil session, then buy a new one for the next weekend.
We all turned out fine bOy! :LOL: Long as you dont get tooo hot its OK

007bond-jb said:
Back in the old days my papa would buy a brand new galvenized garbage can, he would use a scrub brush & comit to clean it, We boiled many pounds of FRESH caught crawfish in em over a wood fire. we used em for trash after the 1st boil session, then buy a new one for the next weekend.
We all turned out fine bOy! :LOL: Long as you dont get tooo hot its OK

That explains a lot. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

We all turned out fine bOy! Long as you dont get tooo hot its OK

You done it to yourself Boy!

Thanks Sapo, the more I read on this the less I'm findin against usin galvanized in this build.

The temperature will not get above 212° because the water absorbs the heat an the can can't get over that temp.

Still gonna do more research but ain't findin to much against it.

The only problem is a Garbage can aint gonna take too many boils before it starts leaking at the crimp joint on its bottom. We would use em for 1 weekend only, Then use it for a trash can. They were cheap, the next boil we just bought a new one.

Back
Top Bottom