Computer issue here need help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diva Q

Executive Chef
Today for some reason when I opened my Outlook Express it started receiving emails - The problem is that my email is now receiving 26000 emails approx from 2005/ These are all old deleted messages and I have no idea how to stop it other that closing outlook but when I open it up again it just restarts. Advice???

To run the Inbox Repair Tool, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, and then point to Find or to Search, depending upon your operating system.
2. In the Search for files or folders named box, type scanpst.exe
3. Double click the Scanpst.exe file to open the Inbox Repair Tool.
4. Type the path and the file name of the personal folders (.pst) file or click Browse to locate the file by using the Windows file system.
5. Click Start.

If that doesn't work, contact your ISP and have them check their POP3 server. It sounds like it lost it's sync.

ScottyDaQ said:
To run the Inbox Repair Tool, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, and then point to Find or to Search, depending upon your operating system.
2. In the Search for files or folders named box, type scanpst.exe
3. Double click the Scanpst.exe file to open the Inbox Repair Tool.
4. Type the path and the file name of the personal folders (.pst) file or click Browse to locate the file by using the Windows file system.
5. Click Start.

If that doesn't work, contact your ISP and have them check their POP3 server. It sounds like it lost it's sync.

Is there another name this could be called I have searched and they can't locate it.

D

You said:
ScottyDaQ said:
[]...If that doesn't work, contact your ISP and have them check their POP3 server. It sounds like it lost it's sync.

Is there another name this could be called I have searched and they can't locate it.

START with calling your Internet Service Provider. The problem is almost certainly at their end.

UNLESS... you have a lot of mail storage ala gmail, never completely erase anything, have the account added to Outlook, and all of your ancient email are from this account. It's barely possible that Outlook is opening the archive instead of the new mail file. So I suppose I should ask if you use an independent mail server (not your ISP), such as gmail, yahoo, hotmail, etc., and either never delete of have a permanent archive; and if you have recently added any independent mail server accounts to Outlook.

If the answer is no. Good. Call your ISP. Describe what happened to you. Don't provide them any suggestions you learned here -- not to say they're not right. If anyone's going to say "POP," or "SMTP," let it be them. Most ISP techs are sitting in cubicles on another continent, reading from a notebook with a variety of scripts keyed to your ISP's email setup. If you're too suggestive, you'll confuse them.

If yes. We'll take it from there.

Rich

PS If you use email professionally, and you don't use gmail, you're nuts. R.

Back
Top Bottom