Competition chicken skin color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris1237

Sous Chef
Guys I need some advice for about my competition chicken. I have the flavor profile where I want it but it seems that no matter what I do I can not get a finish to stay on my chicken. when ever I turn the chicken over to sauce the bottom all of color washes off leaving a piece of chicken that is color less and unappealing. What I have been doing to cook the chicken is first marinating it for a few hours then rubbing it then cooking it either indirect on the kettle on at a high temp on the wsm. Is there anything I may be doing wrong? Or are there any tips or tricks you my be will to give up that can help my chicken skin appearance.

Thanks
Chris

chris1237 said:
Guys I need some advice for about my competition chicken. I have the flavor profile where I want it but it seems that no matter what I do I can not get a finish to stay on my chicken. when ever I turn the chicken over to sauce the bottom all of color washes off leaving a piece of chicken that is color less and unappealing. What I have been doing to cook the chicken is first marinating it for a few hours then rubbing it then cooking it either indirect on the kettle on at a high temp on the wsm. Is there anything I may be doing wrong? Or are there any tips or tricks you my be will to give up that can help my chicken skin appearance.

Thanks
Chris

Why not try saucing the bottom first? OR, just try dipping the bottom of the chicken in a half pan of sauce that way you won't have to turn it over.

Bruce that is not a bad idea but it also comes off when I take the brush and put it on the top.

Chris

Burnt Food Dude said:
chris1237 said:
Bruce that is not a bad idea but it also comes off when I take the brush and put it on the top.

Chris

Huh? What comes off? the sauce or the skin? Maybe your sauce is too thin? I usually get the chicken in the box then take a brush to the chicken. On appearance, judges don't lift the chicken to look at the bottom. Its judged sitting in the box with the lid lifted just as you placed it in the box.

If it is the skin try using a toothpick to pin the skin down while its cooking. Remove the toothpick when you place the chicken in the box. Then put sauce on it. The skin should hold in place.

Also, if you want to improve the color, try using some cherry wood for smoke. It will add a reddish tint to the skin. Don't use too much.

The rub that I put on the skin is what comes off. Leaving that has no color to it and looks just plain white. I do use the tooth pick trick to keep my skin on. What I was trying to ask is how to get more color on the chicken skin. Thanks for the tip with the cherry wood I'll have to get my hands on some.

Chris

Best strategy is dont flip it. Like the man say it dont matter what the bottom looks like. A good glaze should give it a nice color. I always use Headcountry Regular mixed with honey or maple syrup to sweeten it up a little. Only glaze it once. You glaze mo than once it will kill out your spice flavor. Mine always comes out looking sorta brownish red.

bigwheel

Burnt Food Dude said:
Just my thought but if your rub comes off after cooking, just maybe you have way too much rub on the chicken skin. Get some rub between the skin and meat then dust the outside of the skin with rub.

Are you using a homemade rub? I've never had that problem. Maybe you could kick the heat up the last 30 minutes of cooking to try & set the rub.

Thanks BFD that was one thing I was thinking too that could be the cause. I have been putting on a lot. Next time Ill try less and Ill also turn up the heat.

Thanks
Chris

Back
Top Bottom