Cliff gets a WSM for Christmas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
Thanks MOM.

My wife is glad its here so now maybe I will shutup about it. :LOL:

My only question now is :

Where do I drill the first hole?

Alright bud!! Congrats!
Instead of drillin' and fittin'....cook something :D
Who's the "bullet head" now ;) [smilie=a_bravo.gif]

Cliff, I just stick my thermometer in the top vent. It will be wide open the entire cook anyway! Like was mentioned earlier, get the guru eyelets!

Congrats.the only mod Ive done to mine was to weld the charcol basket o the grate..cook away !!!!

Cliff cook with it a couple times before you go making modifications. There aren't really any mods necessary in my opinion. If you have a probe type thermometer, there's no reason to drill a whole and mount a thermometer either, just do as Nick suggested and hang it through the top vent. Guru eyelets are a good mod to get, just don't let Rempe tell you how to install them! :shock: If you plan on using lump just get another charcoal grate and if you plan on using water get the Brinkmann charcoal pan to replace as the water pan. But if you plan on using sand, the stock pan will work fine!

john pen said:
Larry, whats the advantage of the Brinkman pan ?

It holds twice the amount of water as the Weber pan does, which will mean less refills if using water.

I use the $10 Weber therm through a cork in the top vent. (Cappy invented it) Never had any problems. Won a contest that way. Larry has seen it. Plus it makes it easy to calibrate the therm also. No tools needed.

Finney had an installed therm go bad at the same comp. He was using Mavericks anyway so it did not hurt him any, I don't think. Then again, Finney doesn’t need any help. He knows way too much as it is now. :twisted:

I agree with Larry, Nick and Puff, cook with it a couple of times before making any mods. It does quite well right out the box.

Just my .02

BigGQ said:
I use the $10 Weber therm through a cork in the top vent. (Cappy invented it) Never had any problems. Won a contest that way. Larry has seen it. Plus it makes it easy to calibrate the therm also. No tools needed.

Finney had an installed therm go bad at the same comp. He was using Mavericks anyway so it did not hurt him any, I don't think. Then again, Finney doesn’t need any help. He knows way too much as it is now. :twisted:

I agree with Larry, Nick and Puff, cook with it a couple of times before making any mods. It does quite well right out the box.

Just my .02

Well see, thats what I have now. Larry seems to think that I am changing the flow by blocking 1/3 of the vent. Anyone else want to weigh in?

Back
Top Bottom