Cliff builds a PIT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
Its time to see what this thing is made off.

I was glad to see that this was the only rubber lining that I was going to have to remove.

Well, this is all I can do. Now I have to find me a guy who wants to trade some welding for some Q.

Smokey_Joe said:
Ahhhh I see...Funky Gunk!....that's remnants of some serious cook time!

Thought maybe you set the hot lid on a plastic trash barrel or something...

That is what it reminded me of also.

Cliff H. said:
Its time to see what this thing is made off.

I was glad to see that this was the only rubber lining that I was going to have to remove.

Well, this is all I can do. Now I have to find me a guy who wants to trade some welding for some Q.

Head up here..Ill take a few days vacation and we'll weld that sucker up !

That do look like a good prospect. Hope you planning to use it in an upright configuration. Think a pole down the middle with circular racks arranged in a spinnable lazy susan fashion would be just whut the doctor ordered on this deal.

bigwheel

brian j said:
[quote="john pen":3lmf4kmr]Head up here..Ill take a few days vacation and we'll weld that sucker up !
a western ny'er heads down to arkansas for a few days... this outta be good. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:[/quote:3lmf4kmr]
JP would do ok..he's pretty mellow....it's the other WNYers that are high strung...

Cliff H. said:
I am really considering the spin rack but I don't like the way they seem to teeter from not having any support out on the edges.

Just add a flatter broad surface in the center at your rotating point...use something like two 1/8" thick washers about 4"-5"s in diameter as contact surface.

This project is going real slow but I did get the rubber bladder out of the bottom this morning. There is an epoxy paint on the bottom two feet or so that is going to have to be burned off or grinded off.

Here is some perspective on what I am working with. WSM lid on top, 22" grate from my kettle and a WSM fire ring for reference. I plan to build it with a drum smoker in mind.

From the pic you can see were 24" is in reference to the fire grate. That is were the first grate will go. Then I plan to put another one about 10" above. That will give me two grates that will easily hold 4 butts each.

Spinning racks are the way to go. Just make sure that what ever diameter rod you use the grate will just slide onto it.

Looking good. Upright cooking is the only way to fly my book. Much betta obeys the law's of physics gravity thermodynamics and other kewlish stuff like that than do a offset log buner.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom