Cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
Okay I'm trying to cover all of my bases before my Gator gets delivered. I was thinking over the weekend, how do you guys clean your grates on the offsets? I scrape and burn my WSM grates on the gasser, but the grates on the Gator will be too big. I was thinking I should just remove the grates and use the pressure washer to get the gunk off. I need suggestions!! Thanks in advance.

TexLaw said:
I just heat the pit, hose them off, and wipe them down. If something is stubborn, I get the wire brush and then hose again. I do it all right on the pit. I do that after every cook, and it works just fine. It's like a cast iron skillet.

TL

Tex so if I throw in an additional log at the end of the cook and open the vent 100% to get pretty hot that should do the trick? Then wipe out the residual grease out of the bottom?

Vom_Willemstad_K-9 said:
TexLaw said:
I just heat the pit, hose them off, and wipe them down. If something is stubborn, I get the wire brush and then hose again. I do it all right on the pit. I do that after every cook, and it works just fine. It's like a cast iron skillet.

TL

I tried a wire brush, but it seems like its still there. I saw that Zeeman on the Gator site made a cook this weekend and his grates looked new.

-Adrian

Adrian, the grease is supposed to be " still there". You are really only trying to get the "cling-ons." You can never really get the thing 100% clean, but you don't really need to! W

Adrian, My firebox is insulated so the intense heat doesn't really affect the outside. On my old pit (the same one TexLaw has) it took about a year for the paint on the side opposite the door to begin flaking. I just rubbed it down with oil when hot like a skillet. Now , the paint around the burners on the new pit came off the first time I used it! It gets quite hot there though! W

Back
Top Bottom