cleaing a wsm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris1237

Sous Chef
My wsm has stuff growing in it. I think it is because I left it uncovered for the the winter and there is a pool of water at the bottom. My plan to clean it is to scrub it with hot soapy water. Next give it a rinse with a bleach water solution the rub the inside with oil and build a hot fire in its base. does this sound like a good way to go a about cleaning it?

Thanks
Chris

chris1237 said:
My wsm has stuff growing in it. I think it is because I left it uncovered for the the winter and there is a pool of water at the bottom. My plan to clean it is to scrub it with hot soapy water. Next give it a rinse with a bleach water solution the rub the inside with oil and build a hot fire in its base. does this sound like a good way to go a about cleaning it?

Thanks
Chris

Just use some oven cleaner on it and hose it out the next day. Choose a sunny day that will heat it up a little.

Truthiness!

Mine had stuff in it on Friday...and mine was covered! I just took a MR. Clean Magic eraser and wiped it out really good and then put a chimney full of raging hot coals in, assembled, tuned the access door upside down to allow more air in to keep the fire hot and let it burn out...then cooked on it yesterday...still alive!! :D

Greg Rempe said:
Mine had stuff in it on Friday...and mine was covered! I just took a MR. Clean Magic eraser and wiped it out really good and then put a chimney full of raging hot coals in, assembled, tuned the access door upside down to allow more air in to keep the fire hot and let it burn out...then cooked on it yesterday...still alive!! :D
You guys know how I clean mine! :LOL:

Chris, your method is fine, maybe even a little overkill.
Mine grows shit like a garden...I just hose it out and hit
it with my weed burner real good. Good hot fire will do the
same thing

Thanks for the help guys. I just scrubbed it out and now I lighting some charcoal for a fire.

Thanks
Chris

The last time I cleaned mine, I soaked it with oven cleaner, put the components in black garbage bags and left them in the sun all day.

It hosed off pretty clean after that. ;)

Burnt Food Dude said:
Growth & Crud?
My transgression was leaving the cooker with water in the pan during warm, humid weather. By the time I got around to it, there were colonies of colorful stuff all over the inside, eating spicy grease, I guess.

--John
(But it cleaned up easy. And I learned a lesson.)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom