Chow Chow Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ

Master Chef
Going to take a shot at this recipe. What do you guys think.
Thanks
PIGS

CHOW CHOW RELISH

4 med. green tomatoes, cored and minced but not peeled
4 med. sweet green peppers, cored, seed, and minced
2 med. sweet red peppers, cored, seeded, and minced
2 lg. onion, peeled and minced
1 sm. cabbage, shredded fine
1 med. cauliflower, break into flowerettes or use 3 c. cut green beans
2 qts. cold water, mixed with 1/2 c. pickling salt
3 c. white vinegar
2 c. sugar
1 tbsp. celery seeds
1 tbsp. mustard seeds
1 tsp. powdered mustard
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. allspice
Mix all vegetables with brine; cover and let stand 1 hour. Meanwhile, wash and sterilize 4 (1 pint) jars and closures. Stand them on a baking sheet and keep hot in a 250 degree oven until needed. Drain vegetables well and set aside. Mix vinegar with remaining ingredients in a very large enamel or stainless steel kettle and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes. Add vegetables and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Ladle boiling hot into jars, filling to 1/8 inch of tops. Wipe rims and seal. Cool, check seals, label, and store in a cool, dark, dry place 1 month before serving.

Well sounds mighty tasty. I do similar raw ingredients cept I aint neva seen anybody put collie flower in chow chow. Where you from Boy?. Not sure it would pass muster on safe canning practices. Why not follow the rules and do your boiling in the jars? As acidic as the product bound to be 10 mins under two inches of water with a lid would be good. That allow you to enter it at the County Fair and hopefully not kill any folks etc. I aint neva brined any veggies. Whuts up with that? Thanks.

bigwheel

I use a variant of this one cept I usually toss in a couple of raw japs and have tried different vinegars. My current favorite vinegar combo is half raw organic apple cider vinegar and half white vinegar. I always do a 10 min boiling water bath once it has been jarred up. Notice the recipe doesnt call for it but thats the way I was taught to do.

http://www.mtnlaurel.com/Recipes/chowchow.htm

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom