Chinese Roast Pork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
If any of you have ever been to a good Chinese restaurant and have had their roast pork dishes you already know how good it is! Has anyone successfully duplicated a recipe for this? If so, I'd love to have it. If you haven't ever had Chinese roast pork, you gotta try it!

Just grabbed these off the net. Not the one I was going to find for you, but you were impatient.

Chinese Braised Pork Loin

* boneless pork loin roast, about 2 1/2 pounds
* 1 clove garlic, minced
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
* 2 tablespoons honey
* 1/4 cup soy sauce
* 1 cup beef broth
* 2 tablespoons dry sherry
* 16 ounces spinach washed and drained

Rub the pork with the garlic, salt, and pepper. In a deep skillet (with cover) or Dutch oven, quickly brown the pork on all sides. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of drippings fat. In a saucepan, combine the honey, soy sauce, broth, and sherry; bring to a boil and pour over the pork. Cover and simmer over low heat for 1 1/2 hours, or until tender. Baste and turn the pork several times during the cooking. Remove the pork. Cook the spinach in the pan juices for 2 minutes. Heap the spinach in the center of a serving dish; slice the pork and arrange over the spinach.
Try other vegetables, adjusting cooking times accordingly. Serve with rice or other vegetables.
Chinese Pork Recipe serves 4.

=====================================================================================
Chinese pork roast
Yield: 8 Servings Pos

Ingredients:

* 4 lb Boneless pork roast
* 4 ts Sugar
* 1 ts Salt
* 1 tb Soy sauce
* 1 1/2 tb Honey
* 1 c Chicken broth
* 3 tb Vinegar
* 1/4 c Water

Instructions:

Combine sugar salt honey soy sauce and broth pour over roast and let marinate for at least one hour turning occasionally. Place roast in shallow pan pour sauce over and bake at 350 degress for 2 1/2 to 3 hours (170 on meat thermometer). Baste as often as you can with a mixture of the vinegar and water to prevent sugar from sorching and to add a slight sweet-sour flavor.

=====================================================================================
Asian-Style Roast Pork Tenderloin

Hoisin sauce complements any meat or poultry, but has a particular affinity for pork and lamb.

INGREDIENTS:

* 2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
* 2 tablespoons soy sauce
* 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
* 1 teaspoon sesame oil
* 2 teaspoons grated ginger
* 2 cloves garlic, pressed
* 1 pound pork tenderloin

PREPARATION:
Combine all ingredients except pork. Add pork and marinate, covered and refrigerated, 2 hours or longer.

Preheat over to 400 degrees. Drain pork, reserving marinade. Place on a rack over a roasting pan.

Roast 25 - 30 minutes, until a meat thermometer registers 160 degrees (the pork should be barely pink inside), turning pork occasionally and basting with reserve marinade. Slice 1/4" to serve.

Note: You can substitute a lamb sirloin roast for the pork. Roast until lam is well-browned on the outside but still rare on the inside.

Char Siu - Honey Roasted Pork (Chinese Barbecued Pork)

The author writes that this popular dish is also called barbecued pork in some restaurants, partly because of its reddish brown and slightly charred look around the edges.

Serves 4

INGREDIENTS:

* 2 1/2 lb (1 kg) fillet of pork
* 2 tablespoons maltose or honey, dissolved with a little water
* For the Marinade:
* 1 tablespoon soft brown sugar
* 1 tablespoon yellow bean sauce
* 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
* 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
* 1 tablespoon Hoisin sauce
* 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
* 2 tablespoons brandy, whisky or rum
* 1 teaspoon sesame oil

PREPARATION:
Cut the pork into strips about 1 (4 cm) thick and 7 - 8 inches (18 - 20cm) long, and marinate, covered, for at least 8 10 hours, turning occasionally.

To cook: preheat the oven to 220 degrees Celsius/450 Fahrenheit/Gas mark 7, and place a roasting or baking tin filled with about 1 pint (600 ml) boiling water at the bottom.

Take the pork strips out of the marinade, drain them well and reserve the marinade. Put the tip of an S-shaped hook through one end of each strip, then hang the strips on the top rack in the oven, making sure they dangle freely.

Roast for 10 15 minutes, then baste with the marinade, reduce the heat to 180 degrees Celsius/350 F/Gas 4, and cook for a further 8 10 minutes. Remove the meat from the oven, let it cool down for 2 3 minutes, then brush the strips with the maltose or honey syrup, and lightly brown them under a medium hot grill for 4 5 minutes, turning once or twice.

To serve: cut the meat across the grain into thin slices, and make a sauce by boiling the marinade and the water and drippings from the baking tin together for a few minutes, then strain into a gravy boat. Serve hot or cold.

Title: SLOW SIMMERED PORK ROAST
Categories: Meats, Crockpot, Chinese
Yield: 8 servings

2 1/4 lb Pork (boneless pork butt)
3 Green onions; cut in slivers
1 ts Ginger; fresh, cut julienne
2 Star anise, whole
2 tb Soybean condiment (mein see)
2 tb Soy sauce, light
2 ts Brown sugar
1 c Rice wine, Chinese
-OR- use dry sherry)
2 Garlic cloves; sliced thin
1/2 ts White pepper, ground
2 c Water (more may be needed)

Mix together all the ingredients except the pork.
Place the meat in an ovenproof casserole just large
enough to hold it. A crockpot may be used.

Pour the sauce over the top, cover the dish and bake
at 275 degrees from 5 to 8 hours, depending on your
taste.

By Jeff Smith The Frugal Gourmet From the 06/04/1991
issue of The Springfield Union-News

Chris Finney said:
Just grabbed these off the net. Not the one I was going to find for you, but you were impatient.

I don't have time to search the web all day Finney! I have a job and BBQ Board that takes up all my time! :-D

By the way, Jeff Smith was one of my all time favorites! Until he was convicted of molestation, and PBS removed his show! :(

Chris Finney said:
I don't know if he was convicted, but he was accused. :(

I used to watch him every week.

Yep, you are correct Finney. He was my idol when I was growing up and learning how to cook! I have one of his Frugal Gourmet Turkish Coffee Mill/Pepper Grinder!

Back
Top Bottom